“Disappointing”

Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
London, England
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Given the positive reviews of the Moonrise Hotel, I was looking forward to my stay, but having returned to England now I have to say I was disappointed and think the hotel is overrated.

I had little choice in St Louis for the weekend I was there, mainly because it was opening day of the baseball season and there was an NRA convention in town, so I was happy to get one of the top-rated hotels - now that rating leaves me wondering what the rest of them are like.

Things started badly when I was hit with a $25 charge for checking in early. In all my years of travelling, I have arrived at many a hotel early, and this was the first time I have been charged for the privilege. Usually dealt with well by staff who just check if the room is available, this time the first thing out of the host's mouth was 'there is a charge'. What am I meant to do? Say no and lug my case around for 4 hours, or store it and then have to check in at 11pm after a long night of excursions I had booked in advance? If the room is ready, why am I charged anyway?

Then I return on the second day and find my room has not been serviced. No point in ringing front desk at 11pm to get this sorted as the maids will all have disappeared for the day. Same again on the final day, although this time I get back to the hotel at 3pm and finally someone is there cleaning the room - well sort of since there was still stuff left on the floor.

Finally I check out very early on Sunday and find I am met with blank expressions and lack of civility. No 'how was your stay' 'hope you have enjoyed St Louis' - just 'do you want a receipt for your early arrival charge' and barely a farewell. Also noted on arrival the two families checking out were offered Trip Adivsor cards to show them where to put their positive reviews - didn't even get one of those although the review wouldn't have been positive anyway.

A beautiful hotel, yes, and the rooms are very well appointed, but I won't be back. And it is far enough out of the city to make the journey in a pain in the neck - St Louis' Metrolink system is not frequent enough and I found myself waiting on platforms too often.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank capitalgull
moonrisegm, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
I am sorry for your experience. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I would be happy to assist you with a better experience next time.

- Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I needed to stay near Wash U for one night and this place did the trick. They have a negotiated rate with the school so it was very reasonable. The "moon" decor is very attractive. The rooms are all newly furnished and clean and there is a modern looking bathroom. It is about a 12 minute walk direct walk to the school. The staff was helpful and friendly and the restaurant on site "Eclipse" was had a very interesting menu with equally good tasting food. They also signed me up for a concierge type service at no charge. I didn't really use it but they did have a soda and chips waiting for me in the room. If you have a need to be in that part of St Louis, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments. Your review will be very helpful for Wash U families. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else!

Swansea
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed in #428 end of hall next to Red Fox Suite. King bed, very spacious room with a great view of Delmar and Loop area. Free parking was easy and convenient due to no show at the Pageant. Lot would be crowded if you arrived late on a show night, which is why paid valet parking is also available. Eclipse Restaurant was calm and lovely - GREAT music playing in background. Every staff person who passed us inquired as to our satisfaction or just offered a friendly greeting. Was never ignored by staff. This was our second visit and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on our hotel and staff. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. Please let us know if we can help you with your next visit to The Loop!

Safe Travels,
Jason
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at the Moonrise for one night and had a wonderful time! The entire hotel is unique and modern. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful!! I stayed with friends in the Vincent Price suite and it was everything you could want and more. I had an excellent stay and would recommend it to anyone. Very, very cool hotel in a very cool area of St. Louis. Would also recommend the homemade moon pies from the restaurant! Delicious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
moonrisegm, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
We are glad you liked the Vincent Price Suite! Thank you for staying and thank you for your review.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel in St. Louis because of how close it is to the Pageant. My wife and I were in town for the Needtobreathe show and wanted somewhere hip and close to the venue. I had previously stayed at the Moonrise before for both business and pleasure and had never received poor customer service. However, this was not the case for this particular stay. The front desk staff were rude and lacked any customer service skills. I travel frequently for business purposes and have never experienced this poor of service before. The parking is a nightmare at this property with valet being the only option most nights. Upon returning home I discovered that I had left a garment in the closet. After a month of trying to reach their customer satisfaction manager I have still not received any reply emails or phone calls to try and recover this garment. I find this totally unsatisfactory. Then today I discover mysterious charges on my Visa. These charges were for mini-bar items that we supposedly consumed during our stay. Wrong! We did not touch these items. Lastly, I am a member of their desires program and received none of the amenities awarded for being a member of this program. Again, I love the hotel and its superb location just not the customer service I recently received.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank RCTalberto
I apologize for the experience during your most recent stay. I would like to make the service aspect of your next stay much more enjoyable. When you consider staying with us again, please contact me directly so I can insure you the level of service you are accustomed to experiencing.