“We could have spent a whole day here”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #8 of 279 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Worth the price! Children and us parents enjoyed it as well. Even being a larger lady I was able to make it up and down turns, some caves, slides, etc. We had a blast. Wear clothes you dont mind getting dusty or dirty. Suggest to bring a flashlight to keep up with the family. Some even had knee pads on.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,802)
All reviews
in 72 reviews
"an aquarium"
in 66 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Imagine a world designed around kids and for no other reason, not to market anything, but to be enjoyed just for what it is. Places to climb, explore, adventure, to get them curious. That is what City Museum is.

I had read many reviews on here, but I don't think anyone can truly capture how amazing this place is. There are hidden passages all over that call to kids "Come here, see where this one goes! Kids are popping in and out of holes like little gophers.

It was a rainy day, and the place was PACKED. We'd written our phone numbers on the kid's wristbands, but even so, my wife and I were a little nervous at first. We talked to a staff member, and she said that from the outdoor section, there was only one way in and out. So we watched the door and kept an eye out for the kids. We made 3 rules for our kids:
1. Don't leave the area we're in (you'll understand when you get there)
2. Watch out for each other
3. Check in with us every 20 minutes (if you think it might have been 20, just check in)

If you are nervous about small spaces, heights, or large crowds, you should probably avoid this place. But if you can just let go of your fears and lose yourself in watching your kids have a blast, then this is one place you can't miss! We spent 4 hours there, and our kids were begging us to go back as soon as we left.

With all that said, I would add a few things:
1. Kids will bump heads, elbows, other body parts. They will cry, but they will NOT want to slow down! (I saw many parents wearing kneepads - I suppose to extract their kids if need be. They sell them in-house for $6)
2. I'm not sure about opportunities for children with physical disabilities. I'm sure there are still many activities to enjoy, and the artwork is beautiful, but this would be something to call ahead to ask about and talk about with family before visiting. Most activities my kids did involved climbing, crawling, and squeezing through tight and often dark spaces.
3. The "Stranger Danger" issue - have a talk with your kids before going. Tell them that if ANYONE tries to get them to go somewhere (even if they say mom or dad is looking for you), run the other way screaming. This never happened to us, still - it is a place that it COULD happen. I felt fine with safety in numbers (almost everyone there is a parent themselves) but in the back of my mind...

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

What a place to visit. Wear your comfortable shoes and be ready to do things that you would never expect tp do while visiting a museum. Loads of fun for everyone, young kids, teenagers and adults.

1  Thank sixharveys
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

What a find! The architecture, imagination, and design of this place is mind blowing. Adults called to kids, "You can do it," and kids called to their parents the same refrain. Climbing, sliding, exploring, and taking in the ever changing landscape is worth the trip. While we were able to go to the outside area, the roof top was not yet open. I was dying to get a closer look at the school bus dangling off of the roof!