“Pappy's, Most Excellent!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Grand Centre / Midtown
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Over the years, I have been to a lot of Barbecue Joints, all over the country. I lived in St Louis most of my adult life. Over a period of over 50 years, there were always a few decent barbecue joints in town. Phil's was always a decent place, Bandanas came along way long after Phil's, and there were others that had come and gone. Then, Pappy's opened up. Pappy's raised the barbecue bar in St Louis and has since made St. Louis one of the greatest Barbecue centers in the mid-west. You cannot sit down to a bad meal at Pappy's. I never have and when I return home for a visit, Pappy's is always one of my first stops. The brisket served at Pappy's is beyond compare. The servings are generous, the prices are decent, they have several different sauces. The sides are well developed. Service is always excellent. The owner is almost always on hand, greeting customers at the door as well as at their table. Pappy's is at the top of the heap in St. Louis. And, there are lots of Pappy's lovers in town, evidenced by the line that runs from the door to the dining room, swinging up the hall and back and then out the door. Table turnover is usually quick. I've been to Pappy's many many times. I have never had a bad meal. There are a few places I always recommend to friends and family whom have never visited St Louis. They include, and in no preferential order, The St Louis Zoo, Grants Farm, The St Louis Science Center, The Gateway Arch, Ted Drew's, O'Connell's Pub, Imo's and Pappy's. And, in my opinion, you would be a bovine clodpated citified moron if I don't eat at Pappy's!

2  Thank foodfanatic411
Write a ReviewReviews (3,614)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My uncle’s ribs used to be second to no one until met Pappy’s!

Fall off the bones ribs, unusual potato salad and beef brisket was well worth the trip.

Strongly recommend the original sauce and not the spicy.

Line goes fast. Literally food was ready as we secured a table.

Pay attention to time closes 8pm.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great food, great people working, great fast service. Easy ordering. Only con...small parking lot but there is parking available close by. Totally recommend this place...GREAT FOOD.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Heard about this place from trusted friends, and it did not disappoint! If you want fine dining, don't come, this is a place to dig in and get messy! As a family of 5 (2 young kids), we ordered 2 full and 1 half rack of ribs - each order came with 2 sides.

Our kids can be picky eaters. There was nothing left after about 20-25 minutes. Nough said.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

On our second trip to St Louis, we had to stop in again for great food. We were here much later in the day and they had sold out of a couple of favorites, fried corn & burnt ends. We each had a large brisket platter. My sides were green beans and sweet potato fries and my companion had a baked potato. We also bought 3 slabs of ribs. Our order was to go and everything was packaged up very well. Waited less than 5 minuets until it was brought out. Our platters made 2 meals for us. While parking is a nightmare, the food makes up for it.

1  Thank Casa T