“Great food, worth the wait in line” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pappy's Smokehouse

Pappy's Smokehouse
Ranked #5 of 2,875 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Grand Center / Midtown
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great food, worth the wait in line”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Outstanding barbecue at a reasonable price! The pulled pork was excellent and the vinegar slaw was very good too.

Visited March 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Charles, Missouri
“prefrred Bogarts BBQ in Soulard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My husband did have a rib while we waited in the LONG line, which he said was very good. I had the brisket sandwich which was kind of tough. We prefer Bogarts near Soulard for our tastebuds. Really good brisket, excellent sides too.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Arlington, TX
“Thank You TripAdvisor for Leading me to Pappy's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I don't like ribs, but my family does. While studying TripAdvisor for ideas of places to stop along our route from Dallas to Chicago I found Pappy's in St. Louis! When we arrived the line was very long. We waited and I'm glad we did! These were the best ribs I ever had and I don't like ribs, but I would eat these again...and again! The line was doubled up in the hallway outside the restaurant and it took about 30-40 minutes to get inside. Once inside you get in a shorter line to order. Once you order and sit at a table, your food is there in minutes. The staff is super friendly...I can't wait to go back! Stop here while in St Louis!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best restaurant in STL.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you live or visit St. Louis you have to try the best place in the city. Featured on national tv programs and winners of numerous local and national accolades this place delivers. Everything is smoked perfectly and there unofficial motto of "sauce on the side 'cause tere is nothin' to hide" speaks to their confidence in the quality of the food. Do yourself a favor and stop by. Oh and make you sure you have some time becaus the line at lunch can be 30 minutes but don't worry the food is at your table within a few minutes after you order and pay.

Iowa
“believe the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We still navigate with maps in my family and manage quite well thank you. Having planned a three night getaway to St. Louis literally the night before, there were a few loose ends. We barely managed to find a place to stay let alone phone numbers and addresses of places we wanted to visit. As we entered the St.Louis metro, mid afternoon, the subject of bbq entered the conversation. We all remembered that Adam Richman, the funny guy who travels around taking food challenges, had eaten at a joint called Pappy's. Thus began our own challenge to find Pappy's using three outdated maps. After a few moments of stunned silence over the lack of details on our maps, my wife gets her phone out and calls "Pappy". She tells this fellow, who I assume is in the middle of a lunch rush, where we are and amazingly enough, he talks her through. After getting off the phone, she tells me the new directions and mentions that the gentleman on the other end of the line told her to call back if she needed further assistance. I could not believe what I was hearing. I mean, I was raised in the midwest to be polite and all that, but really. After ten or fifteen minutes triangulating Pappy's whereabouts, my wife calls again and an entirely different guy guides us the rest of the way. Think about it people. In this world of "i" this and "tweet" that, these guys reached out and helped a bunch of strangers eat lunch. Pappy,you humble me. As we entered Pappy's, my elderly mother kept saying,"Have we been here before?" Yes mom, yes we have, many times, familiar, comfortable, approachable and wow, was the food good! I had her sit down at a family picnic table while my family went to the widow to order. Sandwiches and two sides or a platter and two sides are the options. My wife, two girls and mom had the sandwiches, pulled pork, vinegar slaw, baked beans and I ordered the brisket platter with beans and potato salad. The food was brought out to us on tables supplied with three large bottles of bbq sauce, I can't remember the other two, but I used Pappy's special. Anchored on the end of each table is a roll of paper towels. The sandwiches were way to big for my mother and the youngest. The rest of us ate ours gone. I tried a little of everyone's and found the turkey to be nice and moist, the pulled pork perfect and the brisket was the most tender and juicy I ever ate. I tinker around the grill throughout the summer and have attempted what I then thought was a respectable brisket. Honestly, what's the point? Pappy's brisket is so much better that any other I have had, it's a life changing experience. Five sandwiches, five drinks, fifty bucks. The food was second to none and I will never forget those fellows for thier kindness and patience. Go to Pappy's Smokehouse. The B-E-S-T.

• Visited March 2012