“A St. Joseph Hidden Gem”
Review of Cabbage Roll

Cabbage Roll
Ranked #4 of 222 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Price range: USD 7 - USD 13
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We Are Opened Mon--fri--11 To 2 Dinner Buffet Friday Nights 5 To 7 Reservations Are Needed For Friday Nights Closed Saturday & Sunday
Reviewed 3 August 2018

We were traveling through and looked for a place for lunch. We found this place and since the reviews were good we decided to give it a try. Well I found a slice of heaven when I walked in. We were given a warm greeting when we walked in by Larry and he showed us to a table. He gave us menus and explained what all the dishes were and how they were fixed. Being of German decent, my favorite is German food. I chose the assorted plate, had a sausage, cabbage roll and a dumpling. Two sides of red cabbage, German potato salad and fresh bread. Served fresh, hot and delicious with spicy German mustard. I was in heaven. My wife got the daily special, cabbage roll sandwich. Everything was delicious. The entire restaurant has a German atmosphere with knick knacks, Family pictures and stuff that has been collected over the years. It is far off the beaten path but, very well worth the extra time to drive to it. We will absolutely return when we are in this area again and especially on Friday when they offer a buffet.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Having lived in Bavaria for almost 20 years, we look for German restaurants to get a taste of what we enjoyed. However, this was not the place. Due to poor ventilation above the cooking area, the vinyl tablecloths were greasy. We ordered the Jaegerschnitzel with rotkohl (red cabbage) and fried potatoes. The meat was tough, the sauce was flavorless and congealed. The fried potatoes were very greasy, hardening fat as they cooled. If you're going for a taste that you remember from Germany, this is not the choice to make. If you're going to try German food for the first time, you'll never want to try it again.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

The Cabbage Roll is a treat. We have ate at German Restaurants all over the country and none of them beat this one. Authentic entrees and sides. Plus my kid was able find something which can be a problem at a lot of specialty restaurants. We will look forward to coming back.

guynstjo, Owner at Cabbage Roll, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

So glad all 3 of you enjoyed your meal , I remembered your son had the meatloaf sandwich . Thank you very much for your review and we will see you on Tuesday on your way back home. thanks Andy & Larry

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Authentic tasty German food! I had cabbage rolls and my husband had tenderloin. Both were amazing! We had homemade strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. It was awesome tooo!

guynstjo, Owner at Cabbage Roll, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

So glad you enjoyed your meal . thank you very much for the review and hope to see you again. Andy & Larry

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We have been eating at the Cabbage Roll about once a week for years. We have become friends with the owners and staff and always enjoy ourselves. Their 3 weekly specials for $6.99 are very good food and generous helpings. We hope they never close!