“Appalling. Serving wheat noodles as "Gluten free", and terrible service.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wasabi Japanese Sushi Bar
Ranked #31 of 47 Restaurants in Avalon Beach
Reviewed 6 April 2018

WARNING to Coeliacs and Non-Coeliac gluten sensitives: This small restaurant has a nice-looking salad menu with items labelled "GF" in large print. They have no clue what gluten-free means or why it's important, and do not care. Several of the 'GF' dishes feature a big dollop of WHEAT noodles.

Good thing I was paying attention to what they gave me. I asked them five or six times to tell me what the noodles were made from, but either a language barrier or sheer bad attitude made it impossible to extract an answer ("green tea", "flour", "green powder" - back and forth). Eventually I got them to bring me the label - main ingredient "WHEAT".

No concern. No apology. I expect the soy sauce is wheat-based too. I would never go back. Totally irresponsible.

(The other reviewer here is getting this place confused with a different Japanese in Avalon. Wasabi Japanese, with the banner "Sushi and Roll, Crazy Salad", does not have a sushi train.)

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Great for a quick sushi meal or takeaway. The owners and staff are very friendly. I particularly like the agadashi tofu and the miso soup is lovely here too.