“Favorite historical place I have seen so far!”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Favorite historical place I have seen so far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

I am in my 40's and I have grew up reading Laura's Little House books. For someone who has had a difficult upbringing, it was nice to read stories of a loving family. My husband took me all the way to Missouri from Georgia just so I would be able to see Laura's home. We drove two days there, stayed two days and then it was two days back home. A lot of driving, but totally worth it. We took the tour both days we were there. The staff was excellent and really seemed to appreciate how much in awe I was of seeing and being near all of Laura's things. I stayed for several hours in the museum alone. The house is so quaint in the way Almanzo built things for her. It was very interesting and even my husband who has never read the books was having a good time looking and reading everything. It was his idea to go back the second day to see it all again, which was great. This is a must for children and adults interested in the early American pioneers and history.

2 Thank shahay

Sarasota, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Loved it Loved it Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

My mom and I drove two days there and two days back just to see this place for one day. Neither of us regret this decision.
We got lucky the day we went; it was pretty empty so we had the place to ourselves.
Having read the books as a child (and having just recently re-read them), everything we saw meant something to me. Both of the houses (the farmhouse and Rock House) were fascinating; especially the farmhouse since this is where Laura and Almanzo lived the majority of their years in Mansfield AND it's been left much as Laura had it when she passed away in 1957.
The museum is chock full of interesting things to look and and read; some real special things, too, like Pa's fiddle and some of the beadwork Mary made at the school for the blind.
There was also a fairly extensive exhibit on the Wilder's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane.
The gift store was stocked with a lot of interesting items, including not only Laura's books, but many books about her and then some other children's books written by others that follow Rose's life and also Laura's mother's life before she married "Pa". I had no idea so many of these books existed!
Now, my guess is that unless a person either read Laura's books or was just interested in history in general, they'd be bored out of their heads here. But, if you've read the books and/or are interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder, you're in for a treat.
The only downside to our trip was that we didn't get to stay in the houses overly long, no pictures were allowed inside (which I suppose I can understand) and the trail from the farmhouse to the Rock House was closed (due to previous flooding).
Oh, one last thing. Although all of the docents were friendly and fairly knowledgeable, one of them (inside the museum) couldn't tell us who was in a picture that was figured prominently throughout the museum. It seemed to me that she should have known, or, tried to find out for us.
That was just a minor blip, though.
Finally, we also drove into town to the cemetery to see Almanzo, Laura and Rose's graves. I can't say visiting a grave site is a treat, but, it was special being able to see where one of my child-hood idols was laid to rest.

4 Thank Empress5150
Algonquin, IL USA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A must see if you've read the Little House books!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2005

Everything is so intresting IF you have read the Little House books because it feels like your own history! From samples of Mary and Laura's sewing, Pa's fiddle, the handwritten manuscripts of the books, family photos...so many things to see...the list goes on and on. There is a little theater to see a little show about Laura, then a guided tour of Laura's house (with her things just as she left them, even the mail and the calender are from just before she died). Next there is a gift shop OF COURSE! Lots of fun little items like tin cups, china shepardess, books..... Then you can also see the stone house down the road and have a guided tour through it too! Loved it all!!

8 Thank cakelady1964
North Texas, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A nice way to spend an afternoon for Little House fans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2004

In Mansfield, one can tour the home where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived for 63 years and from which she wrote her famous books. The "Rock House" that Laura and Almanzo's daughter built for them can also be toured for the same price. There is also a small museum where one can actually see Pa's fiddle. If you have read the Little House books, the Mansfield sites will be of great interest. (If you have not read the books, there would not be much to interest you unless you're into old homes.)

6 Thank Missypie