“Should be better”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
New York
“Should be better”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel has a great location, and I like the extra room that this all suite hotel provides, but the good stops there. There were some issues with the room...worn carpeting, small bathrooms. The hot food in the breakfast buffet was cold....cold scrambled eggs, cold bacon and sausage, cold and dry potatoes. My ultimate annoyance was a $12 parking charge for a free parking garage. Shame on you Sheraton.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. The best part of this property is our location on the Country Club Plaza. I apologize for the issue with Wi-Fi during your stay the thunderstorm can knock out the service on occasion. I look forward to you giving us an opportunity again.

Sincerely
Ed Stevens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 April 2012

It's not that hard to get the basics right , but these guys failed. WiFi doesn't work- how can it be a business hotel when WiFi doesnt work? It's been on the blink for 6 hours.

Also, my room smells like an ashtray. Non-smoking now, but the couch , carpet and other furniture were obviously here when smoking was permitted.

Awesome location is the only salvation.

F minus otherwise.

• Stayed April 2012
I am glad you had a chance to take advantage of our location on the plaza and the shopping that it provides. I shared your concerns with the proper departments. We I look forward to you giving us another opportunity to better serve you.

Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

arkansas
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I spent two weekend nights here with my daughter, and another mom and daughter for a dance competition. We shared a room and it was large enough for the four of us. We stayed on the 11th floor and it was quiet even though it faced the Plaza streets. We valet parked at $15 per day but self parking was $12 so I considered the extra $3 per day to be absolutely worth it. The beds were comfortable enough and they gave you plenty of pillows which is important to me. The only drawback to the room was the bathroom. There was only one sink in a very small vanity area so only one person at a time could be getting ready in the bathroom. There is no separate door to close off the tub/shower and toilet area so there is little to no privacy in the bathroom. The towels were old and very abrasive. They were small and didn't comfortably wrap around you. The last Sheraton Suites I stayed at had great towels so perhaps this is something that they are replacing soon. The hotel is within a very short walking distance to great restaurants and all the shopping you could want. Our check in process was quick and very friendly. My overall impression of the hotel was very good and I would absolutely stay at this property again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisors. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and the Plaza during your time here. We appreciate the feedback regarding the towels and bathroom design. However, please know that we use only Sheraton brand approved towels for our guestroom suites. Also for future reference, there is a pocket door provided that separates the bedroom from the bathroom area.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We arrived at hotel to check in and drop suitcases in room just before going to dinner with friends. The room’s décor was initially appealing at first. But upon returning from dinner we noticed that:
• Wallpaper was coming off from walls behind entry door
• Bath floor had sticky black substance in various spots
• Carpet had stains and was poorly vacuumed
• Black marks on door trim and walls
• Mattress was soft and sunk toward the middle
• Sofa looked old and sunk toward the middle with two people sitting on it
• Tables had white stains on them and were chipped and beat up

I called the manager that night who offered to move us to another room for our second night (the hotel was full that night). Since the bed ended up being so uncomfortable (contributing to a sleepless night), we decided to make the change the next day. She also offered to give us a discount on the room, as well as an “upgrade.” I finally had to ask what an upgrade was and she said complimentary breakfast and cocktails at 6:00. The latter made no difference to us, as we were to be at a family gathering the next night, but breakfast would be nice. However, she failed to tell me that the breakfast was on the 18th floor. So when we had breakfast in the restaurant, we had to pay for that anyway and our flight out the last day left too early to take advantage of the breakfast offer on the second day.

Although we were given discount, it really did not make much difference given breakfast charges that I thought was a part of the “upgrade”. There was no follow up to our experience. It seemed as though the manager went through the motions to give us monies off, but there was poor communication and zero follow up on our experience.

I certainly expect more from the quality this hotel should be and more that our reservation was part of the Starwood guest membership. They need to maintain the facilities better given the status of their hotel chain and not let bed mattresses and sofas get so old and beat up. (My husband joked that the sofa looked liked a used sofa someone had picked up from the side of the road.)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your feed back with us.

We understand that travel can sometimes be complicated and uncomfortable, it is always our goal to ensure that our guests leave pleased with their experience. Unfortunately we were not able to provide that to you on your recent stay at the hotel. We hope that you were able to enjoy the Country Club Plaza which is only 24 steps from our front door or experience one of our Signature Cocktails in The Gallery Lounge. Our hotel is excited about the several improvements that we will be making this year to better serve our guests. With that in mind we hope that we are able to host you on your next visit to Kansas City.

Always at your Service,

Ed Stevens, General Manager
Aledo, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I checked into the hotel on a Thursday. There was free parking directly across the street from the hotel. It was in an area that's very safe and well-light.

The hotel's location is fantastic. It's at one end of the Country Club Plaza. It's close to all of the splendor of the Country Club Plaza and only a 15 minute walk from the Nelson-Atkins art museum (the purpose of my visit).

Upon entering the hotel I was greeted by the friendly doorman and the lady at the desk was very welcoming. Their customer service was a fantastic start! We got a room with 2 beds (919) and went up to our room. The lobby is small and very cozy. I loved the computers that they had for use. A typical good idea from Sheraton.

Unfortunately, this Sheraton is not on par with other Starwood hotels that I have stayed at. This one's rooms were drab, the tub drained very slowly (we were always standing in water), the carpets were clean as was the bedding, but the walls were marked up (there was a huge dent in the wall where the doorknob hits) and all of the papers on the desk were scuffed with fingerprints and wrinkled. It looked tacky. The TV in the bedroom didn't always connect to the channels as well.I was, however, very disappointed to arrive and find urine in our toilet. That was unacceptable.

The second day our room was nicely cleaned and we were happy. However, for the third day we arrived and housekeeping had not touched our room. I was very disappointed. We had no clean towels or shampoo, and our coffees were not replenished, and the beds were not remade. I have never encountered this at a hotel before. We didn't "opt out" of getting our room cleaned nor did we receive the $5 credit that one supposedly gets when they do opt out. I called down to the front desk, and they brought some up. There was no apology.

We did not dine at the hotel, so I can't tell you about that. I usually don't expect too much from hotels as I have stayed in hotels of various classes in different companies, but this one unfortunately didn't live up to any of the Starwoods I have sayed in before (in Chicago, Boston, Montreal, Paris, and Rome). I'm not sure I could recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
EdStevens, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your response. It was nice to see that you took advantage of our great location. I always enjoy excellent comment about our friendly staff. Each year the hotel does capital improvement projects. Again, thanks for choosing the Sheraton Suites and we’ll look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Always at your Service,