“Very Pleasant Stay”

Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #57 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 30 July 2017

We have just returned from a visit to see the KC Royals play (we do different ballparks every summer-it's a great way to see our beautiful country) and had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. We are a family of four and it is nice to be able to spread out a little. The shops are lovely in this area. It is not near downtown. I thought this location was much better than Embassy Suites. It is a 5 minute walk to Jack Stats (awesome ribs!) and the Cheesecake Factory. The JC Nichols fountain is a great place for taking pictures. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and the ladies who are in charge are so friendly and helpful. I know some people mentioned the parking- we had no problem with getting a spot. A shout-out to Kyle at the front desk- he answered every question we had and even asked us if we enjoyed the game when we returned (we did - KC won bottom of the 9th!) I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting KC.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank prmom
Dan G, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us some great feedback! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Hotel is located in a great location with many restaurants, shopping & attractions within walking distance. I will definitely pass along to Kyle your appreciation for his help!. I'm glad you stuck it out till the end of the Royals game! They definitlely like to save the excitement till the end! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

The hotel is aging, but it was still clean. The pros- plenty of space, close to the plaza, breakfast included, free parking, good service, price, nice to have a kitchen. The cons- carpet is stained, older furniture/decor, pool is micro-mini, slow elevator. Another plus,we were able to put a roll-away in the studio for our kids that hate sleeping in the same bed, so that was good. Overall, if I didn't want to spend loads of money and had the kids with me, I'd do it again.

Stayed: July 2017
Dan G, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Thank you for giving us some feedback regarding your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience and room condition's that you experienced. Our hotel is currently scheduled for a complete property renovation starting in November of 2017! We are really excited and looking forward to all Brand new rooms & public spaces! We do hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Kansas City!

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

It's been awhile since I've stayed here as I usually stay at the AC, but everything's sold out, so I stayed - it's been awhile since I've been here and my last experience was very pleasant. The hotel has not aged well.

The staff, like last time, was fantastic. They get a 5, but everything else pulls down the overall rating to 2 stars. First the property hasn't been renovated for a long time. Still that red/gold/green combo they did several years ago. The furniture was worn, lumpy, tired and scratched. I think the bathroom shower has been updated but not terribly well.

Overall the room had a funky smell so did the hallways. It was kind of a cross between curry and mold as weird as that sounds. And while everything felt clean on the surface, I decided to not use the kitchen and just eat out. Normally I like to get apples and yogurt and stuff like that but skipped it.

Now the gym. Two treadmills and an elliptical that went in 20 minute increments and was very wobbly. There was a bench and some weights, that's it. Not much.

On the good side, great plaza location and GREAT staff. But probably time for some renovation dollars.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Dan G, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thank you for giving us some feedback regarding your stay. Our Hotel runs a very high occupancy and yes it has been hard to find a time to renovate our hotel in the past couple years.

Our Hotel is scheduled for a complete renovation that starts in November of this year. Exciting changes ahead for our great hotel. Brand new rooms, furniture, carpet, appliances. New public spaces, lobby, hearth room. And all new exercise room with state of the art workout equipment.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to showcase our Hotel once our renovation is complete.

Thank you again for giving us some great feedback!

Reviewed 27 June 2017

We arrived at the time we had indicated was our arrival time when we did the on-line check-in. We were told it would be a 1 1/2 hour wait (this was mid-afternoon after a 6 1/2 hour drive with our two pets). Told them that wasn't acceptable, so they found a room that had just been "cleaned". There were pet stains all over the carpet (wonder what they use the pet fee for that they charge), the surround in the tub/shower stayed moist during our 3 day stay, so there probably is mold behind it, closet door off the track and flickering light over the vanity. It was our choice not to move the next day after getting settled in - but before anyone books this hotel, ask to see the room they will put you in before you unload your luggage.

Room Tip: Ask to see room before you unload your luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank scole
Dan G, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Thank you for giving us some feedback regarding your stay. Out hotel runs a very high occupancy, which is why we have our check in time as 4pm. We do run past 4pm on certain heavy extended stay checkout days. We get many mobile check in requests and we try our hardest to accommodate all arrival times. You will receive a notice that your keys are ready on your mobile app, which will let you know your room is ready for check in. With our Hotel being an Extended Stay property, most of our long term check outs happen late morning to early afternoon.

I apologize your room conditions were not up to our standards. I have passed along your comments to my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer so these can be addressed immediately!

Our Hotel is scheduled for a complete property renovations starting in November of this year. We are excited for the new changes we are making for our guests!

Thank you again for the feedback. We use comments like yours for continued training with our associates.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Before booking a room in KC I narrowed it down to this Residence Inn and a nearby Embassy Suites. I looked at TripAdvisor reviews of both and the choice to stay here came down to free parking ($15/night at the ES) and a slightly cheaper room. After having now stayed here, I'm kicking myself for this bad choice. I did read (but either glossed over or didn't really appreciate) the reviews saying this Residence Inn was looking quite long in the tooth and didn't meet the quality or expectations of a Marriott. But that's really the crux of my problem with this hotel: I expected better. This felt like I was staying at a Motel 6 or Super 8 or America's Best Value Inn. If I had booked at one of those three the condition of the rooms would not have surprised/disappointed me. The litany of problems: it was quite loud (paper thin walls, slamming doors, extremely creaky floors), very worn/shabby (in fact so dirty looking my wife kept her shoes on at all times and told our kids to do the same) carpet, worn/spotted/stained sofa (ewww!), no elevator (at least there's only 3 floors of rooms...and besides, I wouldn't recommend a 1st floor room anyway because of the slamming exterior door),
parking doesn’t seem adequate for the number of rooms (we came back to the hotel at 9:30pm after the game and found no room in the first adjacent parking lot…had to go around to alley and into a second floor level of the same lot and wound up getting the very last spot there). Can't be all negative, so here's two positives: staff was very friendly and helpful and they had a really good breakfast (DIY waffles, yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, muffins, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juice)

Room Tip: Don't get an exterior entrance room if you can help it and if you do have to, don't get a 1s...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family