“My yardstick on how I measure other hotels”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport
Ranked #81 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Topeka, Kansas
“My yardstick on how I measure other hotels”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I have to say, that reading some of the other reviews, I gotta wonder if they are talking about the same hotel that I have stayed in several times. I have seen -none- of the bad things they speak of.

I do trade shows for a living, and this hotel happens to be right next to one of the venues that I do shows at all the time. I can get up and walk to work as it were. The price point is always fair, and the rooms? Well, I could live out of them without much difficulty.

The wifi has always worked well for me, the ice machine always dispenses ice, and the rooms have always been excellent, far better than I expect for the price paid. The new beds are excellent, and it's amazing to see such as nice TV set installed in a hotel room at this price.

Quite seriously, if I could have this level of hotel at this price within walking distance of all of my shows... I would be a seriously happy camper. Absolutely no complaints from me about anything at this property.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kansasccw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This place is obviously renovated, but it was clean and complete. The rooms were small but had very comfy beds and an interesting window seat. Breakfast was minimal but available at 4am, which was really excellent. Things were very quiet! No noise from other guests or anything else for that matter. Nice tv's too.

• Stayed November 2011
Racine, WI
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stayed here 1 night in November 2011. Had an early flight from KCI, and this is very conveniently located.

Luckily, I didn't have to spend much time in the place. It's kind of dreary. The front desk clerk was eating pizza from the box and watching TV (some really violent show) at the front desk when I arrived at around 7pm. She seemed annoyed that I had interrupted. The front lobby was oddly-furnished with barely-sufficient fluorescent lights and huge faux French Renaissance furniture.

Got checked in quickly. The hallways are dimly-lit and poorly-maintained with stained and frayed carpets. Key didn't work the first time I tried so had to get another one.

Inside my room, there was a bare compact fluorescent light bulb in the ceiling and another one by the window. At total of maybe 25 watts of light in the room. No bed side lamps.

Bathroom was basically clean, but really poorly-maintained with peeling wall paper, a mirror that was shedding its sliver coating, and lots of holes in the wall where the shower curtained had been installed, and then re-installed.

The business center consists of a PC and printer located in the lobby. OK for printing a boarding pass, if you don't mind waiting in line, but otherwise it is lousy.

All in all, I would give this hotel 2 stars, and one of those is because it is so close to KCI. Otherwise, it's a 1 star in my book.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Nashville
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Good location and price. Good breakfast and rooms okay. If you want cheap, good location near airport and fairly comfortable rooms this will work great. Nice TV.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
MORRIS
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We booked this room as a place to stay on raceweekend knowing we would not be spending a lot of time there.We checked in a day early & spent three days there,the girl that checked us in & out was pleasent. Our room was what we expected as we have stayed in this hotel once a couple of years ago I would say our room was cleaner on this vist than last but could have been cleaner still.If we planned on hanging around a hotel room then this may not be the place to stay but for what we needed it was fine.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
0.2 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
0.1 km away
Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport? Share your experiences!