New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Nagano, Japan
“an oasis, from trucker to biker”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

While I stayed there, flags in front of the hotel were at half-mast. It was the next month after that deadly tornado destroyed the city.
I went to Joplin for joining disaster volunteer activity and attended to clean up debris for two weeks. It was difficult for me to find economy hotel, but Sleep Inn was final one, I could fortunately cut down the expenses during my stay. It seem the farthest distance that I could go to and from volunteer site before and after working by bicycle.

The receptionists were so friendly, kind and helpful as to offer me to keep the bicycle in a strage inner hotel. Every time I went through in front of reception, they gave me smiles.

The room seemed like American size, single occupied double bed was enough large and comfortable for me. Amenity goods were various.

The location is nearby an interchange of Interstate 44, I felt energy of U.S. physical distribution. The hotel is nearby truck stops, for people who like watching various colored trailers, it will be great location, great many trucks come and go all through the day. Watching Google satellite maps, it could be easily found that many trucks form in orderly lines in the truck stops, even oil spots on the parking lots are clear.
One day a friend of mine who saw me to the hotel said about the atmosphere around there as very American.

I went out to restaurant "Iron Skillet" next to the hotel, enjoyed fresh salad bar my fill every evening. After came back from volunteer site before taking shower, it became my custom to drink a large glass of tomato juice for cooling down of up-hill biking.
The restaurant is situated in "Petro Stopping Centers", I could obtain everything at the same time of meal. Though the location of the hotel is very suburb but I had absolutely no inconvenience.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank toshi-m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Basic for CLC . No frig or micro, but attached to Joplin 44 Petro.

Petro restaurant typical below average food.

Rained all weekend so we didnt get out to see anything. Were glad to leave. Would opt for Candlewood next time probably, but this worked for short stay.

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

An older hotel, but fairly clean. Even though I stayed in a non-smoking area, walking down the hallway to my room I could smell the stench of nasty cigarette smoke, however I didn't smell it in the room. Actually had a flat screen TV.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

For the price, this motel was adequate for a night's stay as it was clean and comfortable, which are the two top things I look for. Little things in our room needed to be fixed, but again the price of the room was low. We were in a room at the back next to the Iron Skillet and I was afraid we would hear the trucks back there. We didn't nor did we hear highway traffic. We could, however, hear hallway noise and the people above us walking around. A room on the second floor would take care of the latter problem.

Room Tip: Stop in the early afternoon or evening at your motel in case you want to change rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lakewood, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

9 night stay, room 128, south wing-quiet-away from interstate
Immediately noted cracked shower floor by drain-told mgt- was told would check it out
no response & no offer to move me to another room. A Bad Start for a 9 nite stay.
At check-in clearly told clerk I would want FULL service every 3 days; their first try
resulted in no bath mat,no fresh towel, no replacement soap, shampoo or conditioner, and
no replacement watercup. Being wary of the poor, poor room service, I made it clear I wanted full service; to check on the service I marked the sheets and put all other
linens on the floor. On my return, in the evening, I had the same marked sheets and again not a full set of toiletries. I removed all linens to clerk who stated that service would be done in the AM; totally unacceptable' so got fresh linens and toiletries and made up
my own room. Additional critiscism is that the usual bland breakfast was especially
boring as the hot selection never varied day to day.
Pluses: two daily papers, USA Today & Wall Street Journal