“DON'T EVEN TRY IT”

The Hannibal Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Hannibal
Reviewed 6 October 2016

I chose to stay at this hotel because of the price...That was dumb! I joke about it now being the "Hotel California"...eek! Upon arrival, there was no front desk attendant...just a phone. So, I picked up the phone...a very high-pitched voice answered on the other side "HELLO"...I was like "I am here for check-in". Then out of nowhere an older man with very few teeth, who appeared to be the maintenance man shows up. He was kind enough, but didn't seem to have a clue what to do with us. So, in attempt to be polite, he offered just to take us to a room without checking in and then have the attendant call us when he arrived, and at that time check-in could take place. Being young and naive, I, along with my fiance, let this man take us to a room. We were just stopping though so we didn't have a reservation, which means there was no record of us even being there....which might be fine in a normal hotel, not this one! We were lead through the nice-ish pool area and saw the pool-side rooms that appeared to be vacant, down a corridor that was poorly lit and cold! It was SOOOO CREEPY! At the time, we still weren't really concerned about the cheap hotel we had chosen to stay at. I am not fancy by any means, and sometimes a crappy hotel stay makes for a good story...so we just kept following the "maintenance man". We get to the first door, he knocks, and yells, "maintenance" a voice on the other side of the door screamed! So, he took us to the next room...that one was empty, but there were chicken bones on the dresser and the room was filthy. The "maintenance man" left us there and said to wait for a call. We looked around the room and waited about 10 minutes and then took our bags and headed to the front desk. I felt terrible for the "maintenance man" as he yelled after us as we were almost running out the front door, "management will be here soon...you don't have to go!" So...long story short, I didn't even make it through the night and just decided to drive the 6 hours back home that afternoon. The story gets better, a few months later my co-worker was planning a trip that had them getting to Hannibal around 7 or 8pm in the evening and she said she was staying the night in town. I jokingly said, "Cool! Just stay clear of The Hannibal Inn!" My jaw dropped as she told me that was exactly where her and her family planned to stay. I told her not to let that clover-shaped pool fool her. She giggled and said that her and her 6'4", 330lb husband would do just fine. HA! They, too, attempted to stay and left after being given a dirty room with chicken bones! Please don't stay here...it is scary and dirty. It just seems like a place where very bad people might gather together. I am sure management is nice enough, but I would worry about safety from other travelers and the hotels lack of security.

Room Tip: Don't Choose This Hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeerBreadPeddler

Reviewed 26 September 2016

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had. We didn't arrive until midnight so we were very tired. We had to wait for someone to come to the front desk to help us because no one was there upon arrival. The next morning we go for breakfast and it was 9:30 (we missed breakfast - it's only 6-9) so we go to the front desk again no one was there, we had looked online and the price advertised for the room was $53 we were charged $69.99. My husband called for someone to come to the font desk to ask them about it, apparently it was the owner who picked up the pone and refused to honor that price and wouldn't even come to the front desk to see it. We go back to the room to shower and get ready to leave and realize just how disgusting the room. I would love to upload pictures. While I was in the shower my husband went across the street to Dollar General only to come back to the OWNER STARING IN OUT ROOM WINDOW!!!! Needless to say we couldn't leave fast enough! Upon telling the lady in the lobby what had happened (because again no one was at the desk) her response was on "yeah" when she was told the owner is a pervert and staring in our window. No shock at all so this kind of thing must be normal there. WE WILL NEVER BE STAYING HERE AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Al P, Manager at The Hannibal Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2016

Ms. Tracy Burnett,

We apologize that the room did not meet your standards. You chose to stay in a smoking room. We are one of the few hotels to still offer smoking rooms. Some of those rooms we will concede are not our best quality rooms.

The rates on third-party booking sites such as Priceline will need to be reserved through those sites in order to receive those rates. I can assure you that the owner of this establishment was not peeping on you while you were showering. You stated that you only spoke with him on the phone, so how would you arrive at the conclusion that the person outside your room was the owner if this did actually occur? This seems like a malicious accusation that you’ve decided to make because you did not get the rate you could’ve received had you booked ahead of your arrival. There would obviously be other people on here making the same claims if what you are saying is true.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Only place in town with a room over Labor Day Weekend. Although it was late and I was tired, I should have continued driving down the highway.

Let's start with the serious safety issues: smoke detector disabled, pulled from ceiling, and lying on a table/dresser. Security latch only held on by one loose screw. It would not have held if anyone tried to force the door.

Cleanliness/general state of repair: Serious mold growing on the bathroom ceiling. Filthy, stained tub. No stopper for the tub (as though I would fill and soak in that thing!). Ripped bed linens and towels. No remote for the TV. Dirty carpet. No wifi as far as my phone could detect.

Property: debris clearly visible in the outside upstairs hallway (in their defense they could be doing construction). Bags of trash outside rooms. Dirty breakfast room with barely any food offered even at 6:30 in the morning.

General vibe: Doesn't feel safe. It feels like rooms are being rented to folks who want to engage in illicit behavior. I saw a woman checking in who was local, paying in cash, and was told that she needed more money if she wanted to stay all night. The room next to me had been rented by someone on a bike who simply left the bike unchained and propped up against the wall next to the door.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank cbrand
Al P, Manager at The Hannibal Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

There are areas of the hotel under construction, and we only open up some sections if there will be a demand for extra rooms such as during the past holiday weekend. If I remember correctly we accidentally, originally checked you into a room that is out of order. We certainly apologize again for that.

I don’t know if you caught us while we were restocking the breakfast, but we were offering a full, hot breakfast on the lowest rate in town. Some of the other hotels that were charging higher rates didn’t have any type of breakfast at all.

We do not do hourly rates or condone any type of illegal activities as you have suggested.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

Ok i spent $60 with taxes for a bad to sleep a night in, a hot shower and a cup of coffee. Yes they had toast eggs and sausage, but I'm not one for breakfast. The indoor heated pool was right outside the rooms. This was not the Ritz but I got exactly what I was expecting. Not a bad choice for someone on a budget with kids

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank love2cookchicago
Reviewed 27 July 2016

This motel was awful! don't ever stay here. the whole place looks like it should be condemned. The room smelled old and musty. The bedding looked old and dirty. The pillows were very thin and flat. We found cockroaches and even a frog in our room. The doors didn't work very well so we had to go to the front desk and get new key cards several times. The employees wore the same dirty clothes several days in a row and looked homeless. tried to over charge us. The free breakfast tasted terrible. Some of our family had to switch rooms because their AC didn't work. It was the one of the worst motels I have ever stayed in. I guess it would work for you if you are looking for the cheapest place to lay your head and don't care about the condition. Only positives were the AC and mini fridge.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hannibal
4.9 km away
2 km away
Super 8 Hannibal
Super 8 Hannibal
#5 of 10 in Hannibal

Been to The Hannibal Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!