“Good food, LOUD bar atmosphere”
Review of The Islander - CLOSED

The Islander
Price range: USD 6 - USD 28
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Fine, Family Dining. Islander has a beach theme with Jimmy Buffet tunes in the background. We have a raw bar for fresh shucked oysters on the half shell, tuna tartar and more. We have a steam room with individual kettles for lobster, crab clusters, mussels, peel $ eat shrimp. Our po-boys are made with real Gambino bread, brought in from New Orleans! Outdoor patio seating for dining, and outdoor seats at the bar are available. Islander Seafood and Oyster House is the perfect get away for a nights vacation!
Reviewed 8 July 2015

Nothing prepared us for the LOUD crowd at the bar in this place. Even though we were seated at a booth quite a distance from the bar, between the TVs & the after-work crowd that congregated, we couldn't hear each other talk unless we yelled across the table. Service was slow, but the food was quite good, particularly the shrimp & grits. A bit pricey for the kind of place this turned out to be. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't appreciate a bar scene.

Reviewed 11 June 2015

I had lunch at the Islander today, June 10, 2015. The restaurant is located in a strip mall just off of I-55. It is a very convenient location. Parking was adequate, but somewhat tight. The restaurant has a patio outside for dining, but I like sitting at the bar for lunch. The bartender struggled with a martini, but on the third try finally got it. She didn't know what glass to use, and then didn't know that olives go in a martini. I had the Islander platter. It was shrimp and oysters along with French fries, and something that resembled cole slaw. The shrimp and oysters were probably grilled, and they were good. The service was good also. The whole experience would have been excellent, and I would have rated it as excellent, but for the televisions all over the place. Televisions are a big distraction when dining, and they diminish the whole experience. The tab on the meal would have probably been around $20 or $30. Someone paid for my lunch, and I was grateful. I would have gladly paid the fair though. The meal was worth it.

Reviewed 13 January 2015

I have been to the Islander about 4 times now. Initially, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the food and service. However, the last two times we have been there we have noticed that the kitchen service has gotten worse and worse. On the second to last visit we had brunch on a Saturday and I decided to order eggs benedict. The eggs came out cold, I sent them back and they came back cold a second time. Friday night, 1/9/15 we decided to give the restaurant another try. I would not say the place was extremely busy however it took well over an hour to receive our order. This time my wife's crab cakes were way to salty and they honestly didn't taste like they had any crab in them. We will not be back.

1  Thank Ross W
Reviewed 29 December 2014

We just happened upon this place while driving to New Orleans for our family vacation. And we were pleasantly surprised. First, I had my doubts. We walked in around 1:00 on a Wednesday and there weren't too many people there. We ordered two lunch specials: chicken fried steak and tuna tacos. Both were excellent! The waitress was quite friendly and efficient. It took a little longer than we expected for our food, but, it was worth the wait. We travel every year through Jackson, and I suspect we'll stop here again.

Reviewed 7 November 2014 via mobile

Everything we had - oysters, seafood pasta, gumbo, Cobb salad, chocolate cake, blackberries and whipped cream - was delicious and as flavorful as it could be! The whiskey sour was great, too! Guys at the bar seemed right at home. Nothing pretentious about the decor or place. Just great quality food! Our waiter Sam was great!