“Good food, great service, and great drinks!”
Review of Carter Green

Carter Green
Ranked #27 of 266 Restaurants in Gulfport
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Carter Green Steakhouse is Island View Casino's option for Fine Dining.
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We've eaten at Carter Green MANY time in the past five (5) years. While the food quality remains constant (good), it does appear the steaks (which is all I eat there) are getting smaller. Still delicious and perfectly-prepared, they're just getting small! There is only one negative comment I could assign to CG after so many meals there, and that is about their French Onion soup. You may onion soup is onion soup, and that's pretty accurate, but I'll recall one time in February when it was "ABSOLUTELY PERFECT"! When I asked the server what had been done differently, I was told the kitchen had run out of the 'standard' wine they use to prepare it and had to use (and I quote) "a bottle of the good stuff." Well, I was not the only one to mention this soup on that night! Sadly, the kitchen has returned to the "other stuff" which is truly sad. One of the best elements of a meal at CG is the incredible views it offers to the Gulf, and the service which I can only describe as "very attentive" without being bothersome!

Reviewed 8 May 2018

This upscale steakhouse inside the Island View casino serves great food and the service was excellent. Our waitress, was so personable and provided the best service ever.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

It was a quick Valentines Day dinner with another couple and I was pleasantly surprised. We were early birds and got there before the rush. Server was attentive salad was crisp and served on a chilled plate. I ordered the fresh fish of the day, however I wasn’t told it came with a crawfish sauce and had to send it back because of an allergy with crawfish. The server had no problem and my new fish order was piping hot. The salads are fresh and while I didn’t order a dessert the other couple did and it was generous and enough to share. Atmosphere was very nice. Enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We first dined at Carter Green, at the Island View Casino & Hotel, back in December of 2015. We were on the Gulf Coast for a family event, and predicated on the great service I received from the staff, with an inquiry about the wine list (I had the full PDF in moments), and then our meal and service, my wife and I were back, in February.

Now, this review starts earlier, and a few aspects are in my review of Island View Casino, as the Sunset Bar and Deck is not listed separately, but let’s start at the beginning, shall we?

We had fairly early reservations at Carter Green, which is listed as a “steakhouse,” but we had discovered that it was much more, from a previous visit. We stopped by the Island View Casino, to have some wine at the Sunset Bar & Deck, on the afternoon of our Dinner. From past experience, I knew that they had one of the best wine lists on the entire MS Gulf Coast, and we were tired (very tired) of all of “the usual suspects” on the ABC wine lists everywhere. Those had become so boring, that we were ready to leave the Coast, for places, which understand, and appreciate wines – but then, there was Carter Green.

We are just not “casino people,” but then my wife has meetings in Las Vegas, maybe 4x per year, so we make do. We walked through the casino, to the Sunset Bar & Deck, and assumed seats at the bar. While I did a few photographs of Carter Green, without patrons, my wife spoke the great bartender. One question posed was, “We’re dining with you tonight, and do not see any really interesting wines on the B-T-G list. Can we order a bottle now, and have it with dinner?” The answer was two-fold: “Yes, plus tonight is buy one – get one free night.” Wow, for once, we got lucky – should have gone to the casino?

When I sat down, both my wife, and the bartender explained things to me, and I seized the wine list. Now, as much as I have complained about ABC wine lists, on the Gulf Coast, Carter Green (and Sunset Bar & Deck) have a great wine list – one of the very best on the entire Gulf Coast. They have wines, which I have in my cellar, back in Phoenix – serious wines. I chose a bottle of the Paul Hobbs Russian River Valley Chardonnay ‘10. I hesitated over their Bâtard Montrachet, but decided on the slightly older Paul Hobbs, which was great. This wine was lovely, and drinking well. We had two glasses, then passed the bottle back to our server, for later. I also earmarked a Sheldon Marin County Pinot Noir, for our return.

Now, after a shower, and a change of clothing (the staff almost did not recognize us) we returned for Dinner.

We were quickly seated at a nice 4-top, in the “main dining room,” and settled in with the remainder of our Paul Hobbs, from earlier in the afternoon, and the menus. Here, some things changed, and we decided to go with Beef, for our Main Courses, so the Sheldon was put back, and the Caymus Napa Cabernet was substituted. As that was the more expensive of the wines, the Paul Hobbs was free. Just how sweet was that?

Our server was great, and our bartender, from that afternoon, checked in with us, as well. This was just great service, and highly appreciated. On our first visit, the hostess was very cool, and aloof, but on this visit, everyone, from the hostess, to our server, to the bartender, were just excellent. While that previous visit was very good, this one was at the top of form, and in every way.

As for the food, we ordered:
Fried Cauliflower Flores – excellent, and possibly one of the best Starters, that I can remember recently
French Onion Soup – one of the best versions, that I have had, in the last 5 years, and even in Paris – great, rich broth, and the cheese was excellent. Maybe the bread could have been a tad better, but still, excellent
Loaded Potato Soup – very good, and close to the French Onion Soup
For our Main Course, we deviated from our norm, and both got the Petite Filet – each was great, and each perfectly cooked.

Even though we are not real “steakhouse fans,” Carter Green delivered, and delivered well. This was likely the best meal that either of us had on the Gulf Coast, and that includes meals at Mary Mahoney’s, and The Chimneys. Nothing was amiss. Service was excellent, without being intrusive, and without any glitches. OK, we do a lot of Michelin 3-star restaurants, but I can fault nothing, at Carter Green. Were they at a high “Michelin level?” No, but they were approaching a Michelin 1-star level, when viewed as a whole. Even though we are not “casino people,” or “steakhouse folk,” Carter Green delivered.

This was the best meal, and on several levels, of our entire Gulf Coast experience. Their wine list was also the most exciting, that we encountered, as well. I am not sure how they do it, but ABC on the Gulf Coast should look at this wine list, and then, hold their heads in shame. Going back to our visit in Dec, 2015, the wine list has shrunk, and is no longer as broad, nor as deep, but still great – for the Gulf Coast. Even the stemware was very good.

Now, give me a “free” bottle of Paul Hobbs, and I am a happy camper, but still, the staff, from kitchen to hostess, came through beautifully.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Wonderful dinner in an upscale pleasant environment. Petite filet was perfectly cooked and the whole fresh carrots were colorful and cooked just right. I ordered the creamed spinach, as an extra side, which was marvelous but way too much food. French onion soup starter was perfect with lots of cheese. All inclusive with the meal. Rick was a fantastic waiter.