“Unplanned Lunch ”

The Rack House Steak & Spirits
Ranked #13 of 267 Restaurants in Gulfport
Price range: USD 15 - USD 40
Description: Upscale Casual Steakhouse. Serving fine steaks, seafood, pasta, salads. A fantastic wine list and an emphasis on bourbon and Old Fashioneds in our bars.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After my doctor appointment, my husband and I stopped by the Rack House for a light lunch. We had not eaten there before and it was in a good location. Although it seemed to be a little busy with lunch crowd, there were still plenty of tables and they sat us at a table immediately. We had a glass of wine and ordered the two special appetizers: one was smoked portobello mushroom soup which was absolutely delicious, and the other was a light pasta shrimp dish that was also great. We are both shrimp lovers and like our shrimp “lightly” cooked, so it pops when you bite into it. This was perfectly cooked! We each had another item on the menu that was also very good.
The service was speedy and efficient, as well as friendly. The waiter was also well-versed on the food offerings. You won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

I've had several folks tell me that I needed to go the Rack House, and I finally made it. The atmosphere was fine, the hostess staff friendly. We had to park almost a block away on Saturday evening, and I was expecting a long wait, but was pleasantly surprised that we were seated immediately.

There was a large number of hostesses manning the door. We had a group of 5 and got 6 menus & silverware - which ended up being a good thing (more on that shortly). There seemed to be almost as many hostesses as there were wait staff; it sure would have been helpful for some of those hostesses to have been trained as wait staff, so that guests could get just a tad more attention. And when I say trained, I mean truly trained. Not just trained to parrot the same phrases about the dishes. Our waiter was asked about one of the soups by one of our party, and he rattled off a description. Two guests later, he was asked, "Can you tell me more about that soup?" He gave the EXACT same response that he'd given less than 30 seconds earlier. Pressed for more info ("What stock is it based on?"), he said that he really didn't know... If an establishment is going to have pretensions of grandeur (with associated prices), it really helps to have a solid underpinning of good food & service.

My daughter slopped a good bit of water out of her water glass and nobody on the staff noticed the frantic napkin sopping to contain the spreading puddle (thank goodness for that extra napkin with the silverware we didn't think we needed!). Our own waiter was less than 8 feet away and 3 hostesses were less than 25 feet away. Let's just say that situational awareness on the service staff was not high right then...

My tea glass was empty 4 times. The last time, it was not replaced or offered to be replaced even though the waiter was at the table FOUR separate times to take dessert orders and deliver desserts (and came back yet another time to drop off the check). I also note that the tea was replaced, not refilled. When replacing a drink, it should be replaced the same way it was ordered the first time - in this case with lemon. When I noticed that there was no lemon in my glass, I planned to put the remaining ice & lemon from my first glass in it when I had drunk a little; unfortunately, the waiter dutifully took the empty glass every time.

The tables where we were sitting were a bit crowded. In fact, once the table behind us was seated, I was unable to get out to go to the restroom without having 2 of our party get out first. That also meant that there was no room for the wait staff to deliver food or replace drinks without passing over the head of guests or doing a boarding-house reach across other guests' plates. I know that a larger number of tables & seats impacts the ability to have higher numbers of people in-and-out during limited meal times, but when you have pretensions of grandeur, don't undo those by cramming folks in...

The lamb was reported to be great, and the shrimp to be good. Several of our party found the "little" things done to make dishes the Rack House's "own" did not really "work" for us. I would have enjoyed an Italian dressing or a plain oil and vinegar more than I did Champagne citrus vinegarette and the bacon vinegarette that I tried. Our waiter offered to bring another dressing, but there was nothing on his list that I liked. The horse radish sour cream on the French dip ruined a decent sandwich. The bourbon flavoring on the dessert was a bit strong; if I want bourbon, I'll order a glass of bourbon, if I want a sweet dessert, I order sweet desert.

And then, there was the expected piece de resistance, what I came to eat - the filet. I truly wish that I had had this raw cut of meat at home, because I would have enjoyed cooking and eating it. It was a GREAT cut of meat. I've had steaks that tasted better, and that I enjoyed more at any number of chain restaurants. I guess all of us have "off" days, but I detest paying that much for something that I don't truly enjoy.

An old friend of mine told me (on more than one occasion) that the only reason to go out was to have more time to spend enjoying others' company and to give the kitchen at home a rest, because it was really hard to get better food and service than you could have at home. I'm believing that to be more and more true, unfortunately. I expect one of the reasons that I was disappointed in my visit to the Rack House was that I had built up expectations of food and service beyond what were delivered.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Very nice atmosphere-good wine list & cocktail. Starter shrimp royal very good. Steak had some gristle in it & was a little tough. Loaded baked potato good but not hot enough. Great waitress and friendly staff. Went on a Wednesday evening and not crowded at all.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I both ordered the steak and they were both bland and after the manager stopped by we addressed it but he only offered to recook my steak which would cause it to be over done. My husband’s ribeye looked like a New York strip and had tendon running through it and was not edible in those areas. The cocktails and the appetizers were fine and our waiter was courteous. Not going back....

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Very nice restaurant with a very nice atmosphere. Our waitress was very nice. The food was great! I had the rack of lamb and my son had the grouper. Both were awesome. My daughter had a pasta dish that was very good too.

Been to The Rack House Steak & Spirits? Share your experiences!