1,237 results
All reviews cotton gin the crossroads unique place coolest place blues music delta blues main building road trip blues trail great music cotton fields electric blue juke joint chapel screened in porch new orleans bottle trees back porch
Reviewed 4 September 2015

I visit Clarksdale at least once a year for work, and I always stay at the Shack Up Inn. I highly recommend this gem for those who love adventure and are not into a cookie cutter experience. The onsite restaurant, Rust, came with high recommendations from several foodies, sadly I was staying on a day it was not open.

You are bound to meet interesting people while staying at the Inn, make sure to visit downtown Clarksdale in addition to the blues historical marks in the area. This time I stayed in the Cotton Gin #6, which is on the upper part and had a great balcony perfectly suited for an Abita while watching the sun set over the Delta. This B&B (Bed& Beer) is best for couples and small groups looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

Room tip: Looking for more of a traditional hotel room with unique elements, the Cotton Gin is your place! The bathroom wall paper is FABULOUS!
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2015

We stayed in the Pine Top Shack. I loved it! It was very nostalgic & brought back memories of my Grandpa's old house. Beds were comfortable & we loved sitting on the screened in back porch. We were disappointed the bar & restaurant was closed but staff was on vacation & that is understandable. We were directed to local attractions & restaurants. Like it says "the Ritz we ain't", but it was just what we were looking for!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2015

I love this place. We stayed in the Red House. Lots to see and lots of great pictures. Drove into Clarksdale and visited Ground Zero. Another place you don't want to miss. I'm planning a trip back very soon!!

Date of stay: January 2015
Reviewed 26 August 2015 via mobile

Planned to stay at the Ground Zero Blues club but it looked a bit dodgy and somebody previously had mentioned the Shack Up Inn so we went there! It's a bit out of town but what a surprise! We loved the quirkiness of the place. Blues playing in the bar, but disappointed they only served beer! We are 60, not youngsters, and our shack was very comfortable! The food was great though! We sat on our porch after dinner, in our rocking chairs and had a couple of night caps! Beware, we got eaten alive by Mississippi skeeters! They need to warn people about them. Hubby was covered in bites he must have gotten in the room and outside! Other than that, it's a great place to stay!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank blissygirl
Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

GREAT idea, very friendly staff, room basically clean (it's intentionally rustic-- part of it's charm).
We arrived a little late, nearly 8pm, for our check-in to the Cadillac Shack. Our check-in experience was delightful-- super-friendly and informative, letting us know exactly where we could catch some live music that night. They even loaned my husband a guitar for the night (in case we got "da bluess").
Our room was charming, except for the somewhat too-authentic mold on the outside of the refrigerator and the super-noisy air-conditioner.
We went to town and found it to be a little sleepy in the birthplace of the blues, so decided to come back to our shack for some tunes on the porch and maybe some interaction with other guests doing the same. Nobody was really out-and-about, which was fine too, but we discovered that at 9:30, one could no longer get ice OR beverages of any kind! Pretty disappointing and confusing. I knew accommodations were rustic, but didn't realize we were truly camping.
The biggest problem with my experience was the mosquitos. Even heavily coated with bug spray and wearing mosquito bands on my ankles and wrists, I came away with over a hundred very, very itchy bites. Perhaps having the grounds treated would be helpful.
All this said, I would STILL recommend the Shack Up Inn for its uniqueness and charm-- just be aware of these potential hiccups.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple