“Great BBQ by the water”
Review of C.G. Hooks

C.G. Hooks
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Enjoyed the brisket sandwich while sitting waterside at Tally's next door. Bob's beans were the perfect side to go with the sandwich and Deschutes Inversion IPA on tap at Tally's. Ideal spot to sit and enjoy the lake breeze with a drink and a great sandwich. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 16 June 2016 via mobile

So I had a day planned to go on a bike ride out in WBL. Afterwards I wanted to stop and eat something. My friend and I, went here after my run. I was super hungry and needed some saltiness. The part of WBL this is in, is really nice. Right on the lake and is part of the boat docks. As the title says, I got the Cubano, oh my lord. Never had such a good Cuban sandwich before. Only wish they had french fries here instead of just getting kettle chips. I needed my fries! My buddy got this platter thing with brisket and said it was good. I think I would like the establishment more if it were busier, I get the fake tiki feel from it, but they serve BBQ. Weird. Service was sub par. If I went back, it'd be for that pressed Cuban.

Reviewed 4 June 2015

a genuine feeling of family even if you are by yourself. Rent a paddle boat with or without motor, rent kayaks, rent pontoon boats. Sign up for dinner on the water cruise (like a tour), the waitstaff is amazing. Most excellent food, a little pricey. Delicious tap beer selection. Sign up for the mug club. Awesome place. Walk along the docks, great lake views of the lake and marina. Wonderful people to chat with.

Reviewed 22 April 2015

We dock our pontoon at Tally's, so C.G. Hooks is very convenient for eating on our boat. We have eaten there many times and always enjoyed it. They give boat side service as well as eat in and patio dining. Good local restaurant and very friendly staff. If you have a group, order the sampler platter as it is all very good.

1  Thank SueEddy5264
Reviewed 18 April 2015

This is a very small restaurant just across the street from White Bear Lake and during the warm season you can sit on a deck overlooking the lake. Three of us went around 1 p.m. to try our taste buds on the half rack of ribs served Memphis style. We were served within 5 minutes and we took our first bite into the rib and found it luke warm at best. The ribs were not particularly meaty as other ribs that I have tried and there was a slight tug when pulling the meat off. These ribs would have earned a very good had they been hot, but they were not. I ordered two ears of corn for my sides and they were at least warm. Also served with it were fishy cornbread ( fish shaped). Two in the party had the house made from scratch Bob's Beans and liked them very much. Soda was a tad expensive for being served in a little mason jar ($3). Half a rack here is 5 bones. There is seating inside for roughly 25 people and the seating outside probably 75-100. I would go back again and hope the meat is hot next time, which like I said, would have earned them a Very Good rating.

1  Thank bigbobr