USD 177
Country Inn of Two Harbors(Two Harbors)(Great Value!)
USD 166
Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior(Two Harbors)(Great Value!)
USD 211
Viking Motel(Two Harbors)(Great Value!)
USD 132
Lake Breeze Motel Resort(Duluth)(Great Value!)
USD 172
  • Pool
Cove Point Lodge(Beaver Bay)
USD 259
USD 181
USD 169
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsburlington baymedia roomthe main lodgefull kitchenthe indoor outdoor hot tubnorth shorelake homesking bedmaster bedroomallow dogselectric grillgirls weekendoverlooking lakeup to dategas fireplaceget awaystate park
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I recently purchased a 2-night weekend stay through Golden Gavel (Star Tribune.) The stay included lodging and $50 restaurant credit. The price I purchased the package for was $234 but 'a value worth $468' (normal rack rate for that room + $50 for the restaurant credit.) I was prepared to pay the taxes upon arrival to the resort, as I have worked at a resort for two years now that also does Golden gavel at least twice a year for various packages and I am used to booking them and assuring that the tax rate is correct based upon what the guest paid for a winning bid in the auction. When I got my confirmation I noticed that they were taxing me an additional $72, which was almost double what it should be with state tax and Resort tax. I contacted the resort right away and the the marketing person was was out on vacation so they took my information for her to call me back. I also contacted the Golden Gavel directly, who informed me I would need to talk to the resort contact, and that they would also reach out for clarification from them as well. Upon recieving the callback from the Resort contact I was basically just told "No, we have to charge what we value the full price stay at, not what you actually pay for it." I figured okay, so dead end here trying to explain where I am coming from and the logic behind the percieved value of an item vs. sale price... If you bought a $1000 tv on black friday for $500, you wouldn't pay taxes on the full $1,000 obviously... So I waited to see if someone at the front desk would go over the information with me and see where the error was. The person working was very nice but they didn't understand either, stating "it's like winning a free car in a giveaway, you still have to pay taxes.." nope, not the same but whatever. So now I am in the room and semi-upset that noone is understanding the concept of how taxes work when you purchased a discount item... They also get that value in a trade account with Star Tribune for advertising credit... Just not happy with the lack of sense.... And wondering how many other people they doubled the taxes on... There were 10 others who won the same package as me in the auction, plus another 4 auctions going with 15 stays per auction.... Illegal taxation is kind of a big deal since it is dealing with the dept of revenue at a state level... Also in regards to the room, there is clear water damage throughout the light fixtures on the bathroom ceiling, the electric stove had food remnants and even a plastic price tag chunk in the burner guards. Lots of strains on the walls that would be so easy to take the extra 10-15 mins to magic eraser off.. and make sure all the dishes arenchecked in the cabinet. There was 3 plates that I attempted to take out and use but had grease/butter chunks on them from past guests, as well as a dirty pot I re washed before leaving. Will not be coming back sadly since they were so pushy on trying to ignore my concerns and give me a run around to justify why I was over taxed by $32, and worry about the other 50+ auction winners since even on the low side at $32x50 people is $1600, and some of the other spa packages and stuff were more costly so that tax would be higher.

Room Tip: Upper floors lakeside for best view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tori L
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I have stayed in the main lodge before and loved it. This is where you check in and is also where the restaurant is. You have to be here for the marshmallows/fire pit and the beach area.
Burlington Bay however is about a mile south of the main lodge. It does have it's own pool and hot tub. But there isn't a beach here.
If I were to come here with my family I would stay in the main lodge, but if I were here with friends or my husband I would be at Burlington Bay.
This time I was here with friends and we had the one bedroom penthouse suite. It was beautiful! It was like an apartment with amazing views.
I did not want to come home!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Jenna P, Manager at Superior Shores Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi Stephanie011,
Thank you for your detailed review! I would have to say that you hit the nail on the head on the differences in our properties. The main lodge does have a more accessible beach area, and a couple of fire pits that we light nightly (seasonal). Our main lodge has the restaurant/lounge, conference center, indoor and outdoor pools and hottubs. There is also an expansive lawn area and playground - which makes for a nice plays to run and play :) Burlington Bay is more quiet, with astounding views, but, like you mention, not quite the accessible beach. Burlington Bay has a playground, and 2, 3, and 5 bedroom units, so a great option for bigger groups, or those seeking the solitude. We have something for everyone ;) We are so glad you came with friends and enjoyed your stay. We can't wait to have you back ~ wherever you stay with us!

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We attended a conference this weekend at Superior Shores. We were beyond thrilled with the accommodations. Our room had a beautiful view of Lake Superior! It also had a fireplace, hot tub, deck and kitchen. We couldn’t have asked for better.
Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful.
We especially liked our bartenders Jenna and Tia who were very accommodating, fun and friendly!
We will definitely return to Superior Shores!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Mplslisa
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We decided to celebrate a birthday at the resort. We had a lakeside room with a jacuzzi. The decor was north woods, which is what we expected, but the furniture was worn and tired. We ate at the restaurant. Helpful and friendly staff. My partner had the chicken and mushroom sandwich, which was very dry. I had the broiled walleye, which was excellent. This is a nice, older resort where you can enjoy Lake Superior.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamara N
Jenna P, Manager at Superior Shores Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Hi Tamara,
Thank you for your detailed review! We appreciate the feedback. We are working diligently to get furniture replaced in every single unit - we are so close! We can't wait to have you back; thank you!

Reviewed 18 February 2018

First off, the people are very friendly and helpful! We were disappointed in the property. It needs updating. The ceramic animals all over the room were a bit much. We heard every conversation from the room above and next door. It just didn't fit the bill of a "resort". The in house restaurant also had friendly service but, the food was right out of a freezer bag. They allowed us to check out a day early without any hassle or fees. We won't make this a stop on the North-shore in the future.

Room Tip: Maybe get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenn B
Jenna P, Manager at Superior Shores Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Hi Jenn B,
Thank you for your detailed review! We do appreciate your feedback, and will take your comments to heart! We are more than just a hotel or resort, we are also a condominium association - meaning that our units are individually owned. Some of our unit owners outfit the rooms in decor they like - lighthouses, wolves, and some with ceramic animals. We do have 'rules' so to speak, when it comes to decor, but each unit owner may add their own 'flair' - and that is part of the fun of staying here, also..to stay in someone's 'home.'

We pride ourselves in making most of our food from scratch - our soups, our salad dressings, our sauces - all from scratch. Our sauces are made-to-order. Our mashed potatoes are hand mashed. Our wild rice pilaf is made from scratch every other day. The only thing that comes from a freezer bag are our appetizer style food - french fries, onion rings, chicken breast (which we grill and hand cut for wraps and the quesadilla). We are very proud of all of the work that goes into our food that we prepare by hand.

The main lodge of our resort was built in the 80s ~ and we are updating it daily. In Northern Minnesota, it can be hard to fit the bill of a resort; in the summer, we have an awesome outdoor pool/hottub/fireplace area, cabana bar, playground, volleyball net, bonfires on the beach, and walking trails. In the winter, we have trail access, walking trails, indoor pool/sauna, lobby fireplace, movies and games, and the coziness of the rooms.

I am saddened to hear that the friendly staff and no-hassle check-out isn't enough for you to give us another shot. We do hope you enjoy your future trips to the North Shore!