“September Lobster Boil a flop.”

Four Daughters Vineyards
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 September 2017

This was our fourth time at Four Daughters Vineyard and all were special events: NYE dinner/dance, Thursday Night Chef's dinner, a wedding and now the Lobster Boil. I believe they are very good at putting on special events and the facilities are great for this purpose. The staff here are very friendly and accommodating. There is somewhat of a lack of adequate communication between staff people as we get differing information depending on who one talks to. We have been wanting to attend the summer Lobster boil for over a year now and finally made the call to do it. I called in July, but the August Lobster Boil was already filled, as we were told it was 125 people maximum. They decided to put on an additional September 8 Lobster Boil and we made reservations for that. Again a limit of 125 people. Later I was told there were 87 people signed up. On the day of the event I was told they had a problem with my credit card and I needed to pay before entering prior to entering at 6:45 pm. We arrived at 6:30 PM to pay the $237.26 (for two people), but then were told we could not do that until 7 PM. At 6:50 we entered the event center to pay, had appetizers and drinks until about 8 PM. Finally, we were told to pick up our salads and go out to the vineyard. We then saw there was far more than 100 people and found that 295 people were attending the event out in the vineyard. Two very, very long tables end to end with the lobsters being boiled in the center between them. About 8:30 the servers dumped bucket loads of cooked potatoes, sausage, shrimp, mussels, clams and corn directly on the tables about every six feet. By this time it was completely dark, with the tables barely illuminated by groups of candles. We had to use flashlights (thankful for our smart phones) in order to even see the food. I was seated directly by the candles so I could not reach any of the food dumped on the table from either side of me. I had to rely on others to hand me food and some of it was all cold by the time I could get it. We were plied with wine aplenty but the servers came by infrequently, so it was difficult to get the type of wine you wanted, and when I did get some the server tripped on the chair in front of her (being too dark) and she also missed my glass spilling wine all over my hand. We had no plates to eat from (the paper salad plates were taken away) and finally in complete darkness about 8:50 PM the whole lobsters had arrived. Again had to use smart phone flashlights to see them. My wife's lobster was under cooked and tough, mine was okay but being about 50 degrees outside my lobster was very cold before I could break it all open and try to see what I was eating at the same time. Again it was to be eaten directly off the table (no plate), so being boiled it was laden with water and many people had water running off the table onto their laps. I used about 30 sheets of paper towels to try to keep my pants dry. As part of the event there was live music, but we could not hear it at all because they were playing at the other table about 200 feet away. The chef came by and proudly said he cooked 325 lobsters for the evening. The problem was that this was about 3 times the number of people to handle effectively and timely. Why couldn't this event have started outside earlier in daylight when the temperature was a bit warmer and we could see what we were doing? Either that or better lighting could be provided. Dessert was provided inside starting at 9:30 PM. We left about 10 PM because the desserts were dry and we could not hear the music anyway. Maybe the August event was much better, but we likely will not spend over $200 again to have a very disappointing evening.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

My husband and I stopped at Four Daughters Winery last week. We had just eaten lunch so we didn't order food but we each did the tasting of the red wines. I have to say, I was completely surprised from the first sip! The wine was first class and very delicious! I will definitely go back next time i am in the area.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

I went with a group of girls this weekend. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather. The wine and hard ciders were delicious. The owner then came over and gave us a tour of the barrel room for possible wedding reception for my friend. He went into great detail explaining to us. Four Daughters is probably THE location within a 50mile radius of Rochester, MN that I would recommend for anyone looking for a wedding venue. The wines are terrific, the food is amazing, and the ambiance is spectacular!

Reviewed 29 August 2016

Aside from the restaurant, Four Daughters hosts a "Chef's Dinner" every Thursday. You have to make a reservation and the dinner can only seat (all at one table) a limited number of people. For our dinner it was a group of 16 people. The chef came out and explained each of 5 courses as they were served. Each dish was fabulous though a couple of the wine pairings (in my opinion) were not the best. Three of the five courses were seafood, so I suppose white or rose wines are typical. Overall a very nice dinner with excellent service. Each Thursday is a different menu where the chef gets to try new creations, some may make it onto the regular menu.

Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

Amazing setting, excellent wine flights and by the glass, appetizers to full meals ... A wedding was taking place in the vineyard so we had the best people watching experience to boot! Their list of upcoming events will bring me back!