“Close to everything in downtown St. Paul”
Review of Louis

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
Reviewed 15 October 2018

We took my husband's 90 year-old parents, expecting to have dinner in Cossetta's but due to downtown events it was just too crowded. We journeyed upstairs and decided to try Louis's. The menu had several tempting offerings but we settled on the fish and appetizer of the day. The appetizer was a scallop dish in a brown sauce over hash browns - inventive and tasty. The halibut with mixed vegetables was also excellent. The frito misto was lightly breaded, but a little light on fish other than cod pieces. The house white went well with our dishes. The restaurant was not terribly crowded but a bit too loud for my in-laws who have trouble hearing. Overall, however, it was a nice meal in a nice setting.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 13 October 2018

Almost everything on the menu was very good--Caesar salads were tasty, chicken marsala was flavorful, butternut squash gnocchi with sage was amazing, and the mushroom and chestnut salad was terrific. Service was professional, warm, and welcoming.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

I had the fantastic opportunity to have dinner at Louis in June. We brought an attorney colleague from Europe. Jake made us feel as though we were royalty. The food was impeccably presented and perfectly prepared.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

I had planned to eat at Cossetta downstairs but then spotted Louis. It’s upstairs (good exercise to get your appetite up) and the walls are covered in black and white photos of Italian scenes. The restaurant looks good. I sat inside but they also have a patio area outside. It was busy but no problem for a table for one and no issue with dress code (I was wearing jeans, trainers and t-shirt).

I had fried mozzarella to start - a huge portion which looked more like a grilled cheese sandwich - very good. I followed with chicken parmigiana- excellent. I also had a blood orange daiquiri which was first class. The bill was c$50 plus tip which I thought was ok for what I had.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Louis is a terrific rooftop dining room and bar. The dining room is white tablecloths and wood wainscoting but don't let that scare you off. They treat you right if you are in your Sunday best, walking in after work, or even in shorts and a t-shirt. I think they get so many tourists that they don't take themselves too seriously. They just want you to relax and have a good time.

Pros:
- Nice decor inside and terrific views outside.
- Upscale food and service with authentic Italian flavors
- Good selection of wine, beer, and spirits
- Outdoor patio area can have a bit more of a happy our or party vibe so go out there if you want that vibe or stick to the dining room if you are looking for a classier meal.

Cons:
- A bit pricey but good value for the quality and presentation
- Busy so you may need a reservation.
- Lots of tourist coming and going

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to Louis? Share your experiences!