“Breakfast Sandwich is Awesome!”
Review of Colossal Cafe

Colossal Cafe
Ranked #31 of 991 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 August 2015

The place is hopping and the line is long but their system works. You stand in line and wait to place your order. Once you've ordered and paid, you wait for a table. Once you procure a table, only THEN do they prepare your food. A party of two would cruise in and out pretty quickly but we were a party of six. Considering everything, they got us seated and fed pretty quickly for a Saturday morning. It was butts to nuts in there.

The signature pancakes were interesting...loaded with pecans and walnuts and covered with diced apples and pieces of brie. I wish they's had syrup instead of honey.

I was willing to give it another chance and Steve and I did better the second round. I had the sausage, provolone and egg on toast and he had bacon, cheddar and egg on a biscuit. Both were great and the bread on my sandwich was ridiculously good.

A word about the hash browns: YESSSSSS!

I look forward to trying them for lunch and dinner!

Date of visit: May 2015
1  Thank 466ditad

Reviewed 3 August 2015

Went with a party of 6 for Sunday brunch because 2 in our party had had a very good experience there somewhat recently. Unfortunately, the good experience was not repeated for our party of 6. Waited about 30 minutes to be seated. That's not so bad for a Sunday brunch at a place that doesn't take reservations.
The server came promptly to fill our water glasses, but mine had some gooey residue on the lip. Those things happen, and I simply asked for a clean glass. She filled everyone else's and took my dirty glass away. Then she came back to take our order, bringing no water glass for me. That was at about noon. As I made my order, I asked for a glass of water, as mine had never come back. The server acted surprised that we were "one short", even though she had removed my dirty glass just a few minutes before. Perhaps that was the harbinger, as our next contact with our server was at 12:45, when we had to track her down to see what had happened to our order. She came to the table and explained that our order was in process but that it takes longer for "big" tables. Of course, no one at any restaurant waits more than 45 minutes after the order has been taken for simple brunch items such as omelets and breakfast sandwiches, even at a "big" table of 6. Her explanation was ludicrous and insulting. It would have been so much more authentic and graceful if she had just apologized for losing track of our order. The food then arrived in just a few more minutes. But by that time, I was so hungry that I longer cared what it tasted like. We won't be back.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 2 August 2015

A few friends suggested to try Colossal Cafe because they know I love Breakfast. I decided to take my Mom out and we were not fans! First of all, the food appeared to be pre-cooked. (I wish I had taken a photo). How can both people order omelets and they look exactly the same? I had a spinach & mushroom omelet. The mushrooms were canned and the spinach was frozen. I had a small dish of fruit with it and it was not cheap. I expected fresh and just cooked. We had a really long wait but we were sitting outside on a gorgeous day and didn't mind. We both had coffee and it tasted burned. Needless to say, after a few hours we both had stomach aches and got sick. Not expected at a fairly new place. I would certainly compare this restaurant to Perkins or IHOP. Better choices out there.....Don't waste your time or money.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank nycgirl65
Reviewed 2 August 2015 via mobile

Drop the mike. This place is out of this world!! It should be 50 stars. Order the flappers and bring your appetite.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 26 July 2015

We went to the Colossal Cafe after reading about it online. We knew to expect a wait, but the line outside looked daunting. It really wasn't a bad wait. Counter service ordering, but at peak times the staff seats you after you order. We got a seat at the counter, which was fun if you like to watch the kitchen do it's thing. However the granite countertop proved not a great place for dishes--they kept sliding around as we were trying to cut our food. I felt like I needed a rubber mat under my plate!

We ordered the flappers, the house specialty. I got a single Apple, Brie, and Walnut flapper, and my son got the full stack (3) of the plain flappers. We both got sides of hash browns. With the hashbrowns, I couldn't even finish my single flapper! My son made it about 2/3 of the way through his full stack. They are very filling and very large, plate sized. If I returned to Colossal, I would try the breakfast sandwich, which you can order on your choice of bread, including a flapper!

The coffee was great and self serve. Water self serve as well. They offered cold brew coffee on tap, which was popular. Local beer on tap and salads and sandwiches too.

The crowd thinned around noon on the Saturday we dined. highly recommended and worth the wait!

Date of visit: July 2015