“Fantastic food, great prices and wonderful service”

Los Ocampo Restaurant
Ranked #161 of 949 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Great place to eat. Authentic Mexican food. Fast friendly service with great recommendations on selection of menu item that would appeal to us. Friendly prices for great food.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

The service was slow, the restaurant was dirty. There were tables that weren't bussed and staff was just standing around chatting.
The food was okay. Very large portions. They also have a children's menu. I will not go back here, there are much better places to eat. Our server was super friendly.

Reviewed 11 June 2016

My husband and I decided fairly late to eat out since I didn't feel like cooking but also didn't want to have to dress up. We tried Los Ocampo for the first time and we will go back.

My husband had an enchilada which he said was very good. It didn't look as smothered in sauce as they often do. I had fish tacos. The tacos were good but a little dry - however, to be fair I asked them not to include cheese which likely would have made them less dry. I would have preferred a little bit of spicy sauce of some kind.

We also had a side of sauteed veggies which were very tasty.

The service was prompt and the atmosphere is pleasant. We'll have to try in earlier in the day when the shades are not down on the windows to keep the sun out.

1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

I've been here many times and the food is good. My favorite dish is the Sopa de Marisco (I hope I spelled that correctly). There are big chucks of seafood and the soup broth is so good. I love spicy so I add extra peppers to the sauce. It is an awesome dish for cold weather.

But, tonight I had the fish tacos. They were good, but not as seasoned as I would have probably liked. Had to add extra hot sauce ;)

Although the food was good, there seemed to have only been one waiter while the restaurant was pretty full. There might have been more but I didn't see them. The service was a bit slow. Took awhile for him to come take our credit card. The food came out pretty quick though. He did his best to make sure we were ok. Good food, but please hire more help.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

Service was just ok, nothing spectacular and nothing bad. It was not busy so we were seated right away and food came rather quickly.
The salsa tastes weird. It tastes like Campbell's Alphabet Soup with some Mexican seasoning added in. Didn't care for it. It was very, very mild salsa. No spice at all.
I ordered what would be considered a medium spicy meat for my food and there was hardly any spice at all, I would consider it to be very mild. I was disappointed in how mild and bland things were, which is not what I expect from a Mexican restaurant.
Oh, and my friend found a long dark hair on top of her food when it was delivered.
The prices were decent.