“Needs updating and cleaning”
Review of The Kernel

The Kernel
Ranked #7 of 72 Restaurants in Owatonna
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 December 2016

I found this restaurant to be very similar to a Perkins. Decor is even similar to a Perkins near us. The prices are more reasonable, though.

This place was in serious need of a good cleaning and updating. Not that it was dirty, per se, but, the carpet needs to be replaced, or deeply cleaned (which I find in nearly all restaurants - WHY do restaurants install carpet???), the walls need to be cleaned, and, most offensive to me was the heat/A/C run along the wall near us. VERY rusty and dirty!

The table was wobbly. There was a hunk of duct tape that was apparently used to put under one of the legs for stability. It was not under the leg, however. I double it, and put it under the leg, and the table was not as wobbly.

The food - I had spaghetti and meatballs. While it was a generous serving of meatballs, the meat was cheap and didn't have much flavor. The meal was okay. I've had better, I've had worse.

Husband had fish, and he liked it.

The waitress was the best thing about my experience. She was very attentive and friendly. As we were leaving, several of the staff wished us a merry Christmas, and one asked how our meals were. GREAT staff!

Reviewed 3 December 2016

This place is tucked in and can be hard to get to. The staff is very nice and the food is excellent. I will go again.

Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

We met the family there for brunch. The food was very good and the cost was very reasonable. I've also heard the pies here are incredibly good.

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Wow!!! Best Cabbage and Ham Soup!! Others had wonderful Chili and corn bread, roasted pork, fake potatoes, gravy with choice of soup or salad!! Home Made pies like coconut cream, cherry and many other and only $2.98 a piece!!! So delicious!! Will stop again!!!!

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

We had a really great lunch today. My husband had the Club and kept saying it was too big! My BLT was really good too. The server was pleasant and efficient.

Been to The Kernel? Share your experiences!