All reviews main property roy lake breakfast buffet gull lake bedroom cabin golf villas ox indoor pool girls weekend banana boat gas fireplace italian garden family vacation beautiful property relaxing weekend full kitchen jacuzzi tub
Reviewed 22 August 2006

Our family travelled from around the country to stay three nights at a Grand View Lodge property, the Bay Colony Inn "reunion house," located five minutes from the main lodge. The place, which the website refers to as a "spacious, lodge-type home," is in fact an old road house that has not been updated, maintained, or even properly cleaned. The exterior is filthy and the interior amenities include frayed carpets, creaky floors and popcorn ceilings. Worst of all, the place is a few feet from a busy four-lane highway. Although the website touts the "special sound-deadening walls," it fails to mention that the old leaky windows let you "enjoy" the the roar of thousands of trucks, trailers and RVs that race by the place day and night. The "private outdoor patio" trumpeted in the website had all the privacy of pit row at Indy. All of this for only $1,200 per night!

9  Thank niente
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I just returned from a stay in a lake front cottage at GVL, literally 25 feet from Gull Lake. There was a very nice view, a nice breeze, and although I don't like swimming in lakes, it looked good for that sort of thing. There were boats for rent, chaise lounges for sunning, etc.

The cottage itself was very average - clean (although I didn't look that closely), but nothing upscale or luxurious. The bed was good, but the sheets were scratchy and they had those nasty bedspreads. There was a jacuzzi in the room I didn't use, but I did notice there were only two small towels to use for it. Nice fireplace, but not suitable in the summer. The airconditioning was strong and welcomed. Funny that at a resort with an on site Aveda spa there are no Aveda products in the rooms. In fact, there were mounted on the wall soap dispensers and shampoo in the shower, but some off brand. There was also a fridge and a microwave, but the cabin would not be suitable for preparing meals.

The grounds are very nice - and I was there when almost no one else was, so it seemed spacious and peaceful. The grounds were free of litter, but not immaculate like you would expect at an upscale resort. My deck and furniture were dusty, with dead insects and tree debris all over.

Breakfast was included in my spa package, and it was dreadful. The food looked good but had no taste. The staff in the dining room stood against a far wall insead of offering coffee. The dinner menu suggests the food is very overpriced. There is a real lack of healthy food on the property, a shame with an on site Aveda spa.

I had three treatments in the spa, a very lovely facility that outclasses the rest of the resort. The services were good and reasonably priced. The staff there and in general were young and friendly but at times clueless. They couldn't tell me why the treatments in the package had wildly different prices from their a la carte rates, and this made giving tips a nightmare. I had a long checkout from the lodge because they told me that the remaining amount I owed would not post until midnight that night, so I would be signing for less than I would be charged. This was resolved in my favor, but it was an annoyance.

All in all, this is a nice family resort on a large lake. There seem to be tons of activities for children. For adults, unless you golf, there didn't seem to be much to do. If you go there with your expectations in line, knowing what a 3 star resort should offer, you'll be fine.

By the way, I found their website to be extremely unhelpful about the accommodation choices and rates. There are about 10 choices of rooms, cabins, townhouses, etc. but there was not a full list of amenities for the cabins (and the reservationist did not know if the cabins had a/c - they do) and I could not tell what the actual room rate was for my stay. You'll have to rely on the reservationist and hope that s/he has all the facts.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank Spacrawler
Reviewed 8 November 2005

We had a group of 7 guys that stayed in the Lehman Cabin at Deacon's Lodge golf cabins. This was no cabin. It was a 4+ BR house and it was awesome. it had two bedrooms on main floor, two BR in the lower level (walkout) and 4 beds in the loft. The beds were very comfortable - felt like they had never been slept in! I slept great!

Full kitchen, beautiful fireplace, awesome screened in deck looking into the woods. The lower level had a pool table, wet bar and walked out to a patio. Every BR had it's own TV. Very clean and up-to-date.

The cabins are a 1/4 mile from the golf course (Deacon's). We only stayed one night, but we will be coming back next year and staying in these cabins!

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank loririchh
Reviewed 28 August 2005

My husband and I took our kids to Grand View Lodge. We enjoyed many of the activities such as pontoon fishing, beading, bingo, ice cream social, horseback riding and the bonfire on the beach. Some of the staff was very helpful, organized and knowledgable, others were not.

Our package included dinner and breakfast. The on site dining was below average (the main dining room and Italian gardens) however the steaks & food was excellent at Sherwood Forest across the lake. The breakfast in the main dining room was very good every morning.

Nice clean up to date cabins. Overall we enjoyed it and would return.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank MidwesternMom69
Reviewed 13 August 2004

My family and I just returned home from Grand View Lodge and truly enjoyed our trip. My husband and eldest son enjoyed golf at their 3 courses (The Pines, The Preserve and Deacon's Lodge) while our younger children were entertained at the resort's Kids' Club. I visited their Aveda Spa (Glacial Waters) and enjoyed 3 hours of relaxing services. I've been to several spas around the globe and this is by far the best I've been to. This is a great spot for families to get away! They really have something for everyone!

5  Thank Curiosity29994