“Satisfy Your Craft Beer and Food Cravings at Surly Brewing”
Review of Surly Brewing

Surly Brewing
Ranked #28 of 1,981 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I spent a few days travelling around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in search of great beer and I discovered several cool places along the way. The majority I knew little about but, as a beer writer, there was already one place I was completely familiar with and I was anxious to visit and see what it was like first hand. That place is Surly Brewing, located near the University of Minnesota.

Surly Brewing is a large brewery with a 100,000 barrel capacity. This makes it one of the largest breweries in the United States and I recommend signing up for a tour online or over the phone before you visit. The tour walks you through the brewhouse where you learn about Surly’s history and the brewing process. The tour ends in a tasting room reserved for those on the tour. It is here where you can sample and savor some of Surly’s tasty suds with the rest of your tour group. I loved the Todd- The Axe Man IPA the best, but there were several standouts overall.

I was hungry when I visited Surly Brewing and that was not a problem at all, as I quickly learned that Surly is a full- service restaurant as well as a brewery. The food is made to go with the beer and it does exactly that. Guests can choose among delicious, beer- compatible foods such as sweet and spicy beer nuts, lamb meatballs, Surly Burger, Chopped Brisket Sandwich, Oven Roasted Trout, and others. Like I said, the food matches up perfectly with the beer and the whole is easily greater than the sum of the parts.

Surly’s Beer Hall is a cool place to hang out, but depending on the weather, you may want to head to the outdoor patio. Both are very large and the outdoor patio is dog friendly, perfect for those times when your beloved pooch just can’t get enough of you. Music is often playing at Surly, and it tends to consist of rock/punk from the past 20 or so years. I should warn that it is often quite crowded at Surly, so come prepared for a wait. But don’t fret- you can order a beer to enjoy while you wait, making the time fly by.

Minneapolis is overloaded with breweries and Surly Brewing is arguably one of its very best. I spent more time here than I did at any brewery in the Twin Cities area and I would have spent even longer had I not been under pressure to make it back to the airport for my return flight home. It’s a truly cool place in Minneapolis and one that every craft beer fan should visit.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Finally got here and was disappointed. First off, one of my friends wanted the burger without mayo. Nope. The server explained the chef will only make the burger as it is on the menu, with all toppings. Really? Everything we ordered was just OK -- fairly small portions and just OK food. Beer was fine. Was wishing for the price, the food was better. Service was pretty good.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We went as my partner and read lots of reviews. Got there and was very busy. Got a table inside and the staff were really helpful on what beers to order. I am not a big lager / beer drinker but they did let me try a few so I could pick one to drink. Ordered some food to go with, not the cheapest eats but was nice all the same.

If you are in the area would recommend just for the experience.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We were recommended Surly by some locals, for sure this is the best craft beer place i have visited yet. The whole atmosphere of the place is focused around the beer however it has a tremendous amount of space inside and outside to relax and enjoy the beer. We made two visits during our visit to the area.
If you are a beer lover you need to add this to your list of places to go.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Have you ever had to park 2-1/2 blocks away from a place that has that size parking lot. Even the streets were fully lined up on a Tues. evening. Our group of 8 arrived at 6:30PM & waited 45 min. to be seated. The time went quickly as we went up to the bar for beers while waiting. The picnic style bench seating indoors & out was full when we arrived & full when we left. We enjoy eating here & it was our 3rd time. We had the boneless Bulgogi ShrtRib for $17. While the ribs were quite flattened, they were tasty. The roasted cauliflower for $11. was a large portion & fantastic. The large Salmon salad with a soft boiled egg had lots of salmon. We had a 20% Service Charge as we also had a 20% tip added. I should've asked but forgot, so the meal was a bit more than expected. I prefer a Wheat beer & am not a fan of IPA beer. A cream ale filled the lite beer choice. The 10oz Eleven B was a dark beer for $7. & best value on the 16oz Sardnic for $5.50 was a wheat beer.