“Filthy carpet, no frig”

Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 17 July 2017

The carpets were filthy. Clean or replace!! No frig in room. We needed for medical reasons. Called front desk and was told they'd send one up, three hours later my son called. We never did get frig. The hotel is attached to hospital so they can charge whatever they wish for a 2nd class place .Could NOT believe this was a Sheraton!!
Shame on you. A side from no frig our son's room across hall had a shower that left you in water over ankles drained so slow. Yes, it was reported.

Room Tip: Dirty carpets!! I wouldn't stay except close to hospital.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 18 July 2017

On behalf of the entire hotel, I wish to apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. Although there is no excuse for stained carpeting, we will be renovating the entire hotel which will include new carpeting as well as microwaves and mini-fridges in all guest rooms.

William Hickey

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Looked for a Sheraton while my son needed to be in the area for a college visit. We were not disappointed. Nice, updated clean rooms. And the perks of membership got us a continental breakfast as well. I wish we'd had more time to investigate the area!

Stayed: January 2017
Management response:Responded 15 August 2017

Dear Paula B,

Thank you for your kind words! Maybe next time you can spend some more time and explore. The area is rich with history!

Bill Hickey

Reviewed 29 June 2017

The room was fine. It wasn't memorable, but it was clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. The staff at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. The hotel restaurant serves good food, although the service is sometimes a bit slow. (By the way, if you do stay, it's cheaper to just buy your own breakfast there than to pay for it at the time you make your reservation. Most breakfasts run about $12 on their menu, but they charge more than that if you pre-pay.)

When I booked, I made a flexible reservation. I then learned I had booked one night in error and tried to change my reservation online. The system said no rooms were available (to cancel? Seemed odd.), so I called. The man at the 1-800 number stated that the hotel was full and a two night stay was required by the computer system, but that it could be easily overridden. He e-mailed hotel management asking for the override, and stated I'd hear back within 24 hours. I didn't, but he assured me that it wouldn't be a problem as the request was never denied. Once at the hotel for the start of my trip, I asked at the front desk, and they gladly made the fix I needed for the end of my trip. I thought it was done. Days later I received a call from a sales manager who informed me that my request couldn't be honored. That was it. She didn't offer to move me to a different hotel or such. I was confused, because I thought it had been fixed. I called the 1-800 number back, confirmed that it had been fixed, but then canceled the reservation. The last thing I needed was to be billed for a night a I hadn't stayed.

I complained about the confusion and lack of flexibility in the survey they sent, and I received an apology for me not agreeing with their hotel policy. Not the service one would expect for the price paid.

Anyway, if you are positive life won't happen and force you to change your plans, this is a nice hotel in a good location. If you may need some flexibility, I recommend you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor unless you want to keep your curtains closed all the time.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 15 August 2017

Dear Eliz375,

I am truly sorry that you encountered difficulty in making and changing your reservations. I tried to explain to you in a previous communication our reasoning but it still leaves a bad taste and for that I apologize.

Bill Hickey

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Hotel location was great for the event we attended BUT since there was an event price for 2 nights with a confirmation and another price for a 3rd night with a different confirmation number. I questioned this as they showed me checking out and then back in? I checked ahead of time and was told that I would just have to get a new key for the 3rd night...once again weird. When I went to the desk to accomplish the weird key exchange they told me I would need to pack up and change rooms...I refused and only then did the front desk ell me it was OK to stay put. Not a particularly good experience. The restaurant is excruciatingly slow for breakfast and somewhat below average service and food.

Room Tip: Make sure you get them to book your room with all the idiocy they put us through
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 19 June 2017

Dear Bookbuyer,

Sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. This is not typical of a normal guest experience. Next time you are in town please give us another chance to exceed your expectation.

Ted J

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Firstly, before commenting on the shortcomings, let me comment on the staff. The bar and restaurant staff is wonderful; attentive, courteous and very friendly. Also, the van driver who we used, unfortunately I didn't get his name, was great! We needed a late night pick up, and he was there on time at the appointed place.
Now, where this property falls short: Front desk is understaffed. Not to Sheraton's cleanliness standards, room dusty, tired looking desk, shower floor very slippery due to improper cleaning, and service items left out in the hallway for far too long.
I will give this property another chance. Hopefully, they will address these items.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 5 June 2017

UpNorthJohn,

Thank you for your feedback. We will be going through a renovation this fall to address all of your concerns regarding the the condition of rooms. Sorry for your experience at the desk. We will try and exceed your expectations next time.

Regards,