“Victor's 1959 Cafe”
Review of Victor's 1959 Cafe

Victor's 1959 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,862 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Victor's 1959 Cafe is a Cuban themed restaurant in a sweet area of Minneapolis. The food was good but a bit on the pricey side.

nikimu, Owner at Victor's 1959 Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you!! We appreciate your business

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

I don't care how long you have to wait for a brunch table, it will be worth it! Cuban sandwiches, Bloody Mary's, hot coffee, unique pancakes, and Cuban variations on classic diner goodness like egg dishes make this a one-stop pit stop that will fuel you up all day long (and wanting to come back to a piece of Havana in the upper Midwest)! Delicious!

Wow thanks! We sure appreciate your enthusiastic & kind praise. Thanks for your business and see you next time!

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Being a native from Tampa, I'm kind of a Cuban food snob. The food here would be considered average in Tampa or Miami... HOWEVER.. this is NOT a tropical location and I didn't expect it to be the best Cuban food in the world (although their yucca is the best I have ever had). The friendly staff, the atmosphere and the food make it a fun and delightful experience. I will be going back, for sure.

Thank you so much!!!!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

During our visit this month to Minneapolis, we were recommended to try this Cuban restaurant. As a Cuban myself, I tend to avoid most Cuban restaurants for fear of disappointment. The atmosphere was great. Seems like it hasn't been updated since 1959 which is an attraction BUT the seating was so uncomfortable. I was sliding out of my chair during the entire meal and couldn't reach the floor. My kids enjoyed that they gave us sharpies and were able to write on the wall.
I had the salmon which was bland. Cubans are NOT bland typically. My kids shared the pernil and I tasted it and it was DELICIOUS! Tasted like my mom used to make it. The beans were ok and the Yucca fries were good too. They gave me a side of 2 platanos so don't waste your money on that small portion. They messed up twice on our order (although they caught it themselves) and never came to check on us for drinks and the place was not packed. We would have ordered dessert but choose not to due to the lack of service that we are used to. Maybe I expected too much being from NY? Not sure.
OH, and I called ahead to see if it was crowded and if there was a wait. I was told I needed to talk to the hostess who was busy and was placed on hold for over 5 minutes and I can hear them talking in the background. We arrived 10 minutes later and the place was practically empty?!? Not sure why in such a tiny restaurant the person who answered couldn't have just said, no worries, come on in!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

For a Cuban cafe, I had high expectations for an outstanding, mouth-watering, never-been-better Cuban sandwich - and that is precisely what I got: one of the best ever. I started my meal with a cup of black bean soup that was full of flavor and followed the soup with a brilliant glass of Malbec Rose, something I'd not heard of before. Malbec rose? Yes. Yes, it is a thing. And it's wonderful.

The staff was lively and conversational. The overall dining experience was such a delight. Repeat visit to be had sooner than later.

Thanks for your excellent review! We really appreciate you and your business