“Came highly recommend and didn't disappoint ”
Review of Restaurant Alma

Restaurant Alma
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Alma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,853 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: 6th Avenue SE
Transit: #6 Metro Transit Bus
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Was visiting Minneapolis/Saint Paul for a long weekend, and asked 8-12 people, whose opinion about food I trusted, where I should eat and shouldn't miss. More often than not Alma was first place named. It was so frequently mentioned that I was highly disappointed when I used Alma's website reservation link and there was nothing available the night I could go. I called, I emailed, I got a reservation! The tasting menu is incredibly reasonably priced compared to the quality of the food they produced. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The cocktails adventurous but familiar enough to not be intimidating to the less experienced at my table. It was a fantastic experience all round.

1  Thank Lizabeth B

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Restaurant was busy. Flawless presentation for three courses with five selections each. Service was good, special requests were honored. This is a must stop while in MSP.

1  Thank ARobertG
Reviewed 2 September 2017

The food, everything we ordered, was superb. The range of plates was varied, and the service insured us of have a wonderful meal. Get to this place early as when it is full the noise becomes overwhelming. Luckily the food was beyond compare. We certainly will go back.

1  Thank Gabriel W
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Since they only take reservations a certain amount of time in advance, we waited a long time to dine here. This isn't some place you can just pop in at the last minute, reservations are required.

It is a three course prix fixe menu without dessert. I don't know how frequently the menu changes but there are always seasonal dishes and a few odd combinations that actually pair together very well. I did hear our waiter tell the table next to us that you could do a la carte and he explained the pricing for that but it was never offered to us or a friend of mine who is a frequent guest.

We both had the three courses. I started with the octopus terrine and it was very good but a tad fishy. I eat octopus more than the average person so I was ok with it, but I could see someone trying it for the first time and being put off by it. I had the masa cake with chicken in a mole sauce for my second course and it was underwhelming. The main entree, seared scallops in a coconut sauce however was divine. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the sauce was outstanding. My husband had the Alma bread and although it was delicious, I thought the bread was too thick hence the steak knife accompaniment. He enjoyed the fried egg as well as his smoked lamb entree.

We would've had dessert but this was the thing. It was a rainy, humid night and the HVAC was dripping on me. I played it off as a joke but suggested they stop seating the table after we left. They were very apologetic. However, the table next to us complained as well after I brought it to their attention. That couple left after complaining of the condensation dripping on them and they seated the table again! Well those people sat down and wanted to move! Meanwhile as I was being "rained"
on nothing was ever done for my situation. Having been in the business for over 30 years I know you don't let someone walk out the door without at least trying to make it right. They could've comped one of my glasses of sparkling wine or comped our corkage fee or something???

The food was good enough for us to go back but don't sit under the HVAC unit which covers a lot of ground in a loft space.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Please don't go here - we want a table.

Twin Cities foodies have many options these days and Alma is still without parallel - reasonably priced (esp the lovely Cafe side that serves smaller plates), top-shelf ingredients, and splendidly fresh and new preparations.

That's the food and then there's the service from engaged and vibrant staff. Inventive bar tenders. The only advice I'd offer - other than please don't go here - is to order in stages on the Cafe to linger for an evening and allow the food and drinks to seep in.

We've been going to Alma for 20 years - our gratitude for what it does has been constant.

1  Thank LRJ1959