“Tenth anniversary celebration”
Review of Restaurant Alma

Restaurant Alma
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Alma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,843 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: 6th Avenue SE
Transit: #6 Metro Transit Bus
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Since they only take reservations a certain amount of time in advance, we waited a long time to dine here. This isn't some place you can just pop in at the last minute, reservations are required.

It is a three course prix fixe menu without dessert. I don't know how frequently the menu changes but there are always seasonal dishes and a few odd combinations that actually pair together very well. I did hear our waiter tell the table next to us that you could do a la carte and he explained the pricing for that but it was never offered to us or a friend of mine who is a frequent guest.

We both had the three courses. I started with the octopus terrine and it was very good but a tad fishy. I eat octopus more than the average person so I was ok with it, but I could see someone trying it for the first time and being put off by it. I had the masa cake with chicken in a mole sauce for my second course and it was underwhelming. The main entree, seared scallops in a coconut sauce however was divine. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the sauce was outstanding. My husband had the Alma bread and although it was delicious, I thought the bread was too thick hence the steak knife accompaniment. He enjoyed the fried egg as well as his smoked lamb entree.

We would've had dessert but this was the thing. It was a rainy, humid night and the HVAC was dripping on me. I played it off as a joke but suggested they stop seating the table after we left. They were very apologetic. However, the table next to us complained as well after I brought it to their attention. That couple left after complaining of the condensation dripping on them and they seated the table again! Well those people sat down and wanted to move! Meanwhile as I was being "rained"
on nothing was ever done for my situation. Having been in the business for over 30 years I know you don't let someone walk out the door without at least trying to make it right. They could've comped one of my glasses of sparkling wine or comped our corkage fee or something???

The food was good enough for us to go back but don't sit under the HVAC unit which covers a lot of ground in a loft space.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Please don't go here - we want a table.

Twin Cities foodies have many options these days and Alma is still without parallel - reasonably priced (esp the lovely Cafe side that serves smaller plates), top-shelf ingredients, and splendidly fresh and new preparations.

That's the food and then there's the service from engaged and vibrant staff. Inventive bar tenders. The only advice I'd offer - other than please don't go here - is to order in stages on the Cafe to linger for an evening and allow the food and drinks to seep in.

We've been going to Alma for 20 years - our gratitude for what it does has been constant.

1  Thank LRJ1959
Reviewed 19 August 2017

We ate dinner here as part of an anniversary celebration that included a stay at the lovely Hotel Alma as well. We are actually super picky about restaurants (particularly those past a certain price point) as we are both good cooks and eat really well at home and abroad. ;) We had an excellent meal at Restaurant Alma. We loved their use of seasonal ingredients and their creative spins on them. Suggested wine pairings were great. Ambiance was comfortable in a warm, Scandi-bistro way. Service was excellent. We thought the price very reasonable for the amount and the quality and interest of ingredients. Would highly recommend!

1  Thank Simbet
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Met a coworker here who needs gluten free. It worked great for her. I found the average food not my kind of thing. Nice atmosphere and good staff. Just not somewhere I would go again.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Haven't been to restaurant alma in years, but was happy to enjoy cafe alma when it opened for breakfast and lunch. Unfortunately, the service at two recent dinners was excruciating - 10 and 15 minutes after being seated before we got waters. apparently only your waitron can bring it to you. 20 minutes to get drinks and wine - looks like only one bar tender for the entire cafe. Both dinners of four people took 2 plus hours. Food is very good, but not worth the wait.