“Mmmmm... Doughnuts!!!”

Angel Food Bakery & Coffee Bar
Ranked #3 of 40 Bakeries in Minneapolis
Price range: USD 2 - USD 20
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Discover Angel Food Bakery & Coffee Bar, a beautiful one-of-a-kind spot where you get to see bakers ice exquisite cupcakes, pull just-made breads out of the oven, and put the finishing touches on decadent donuts and other treats. Watch us in action 7 days a week in a street level spot just above Hell's Kitchen, our other downtown gem.
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I've been to Hell's Kitchen many times, but today I popped in to Angel Food for the first time to get some doughnuts to bring to Brunch. These doughnuts are exceptional! Just from the three varieties I tried - the 'Dough-Naparts', the Maple Bacon Doughnuts, and the Miss Martin Donut - I've determined I will be back, and back often!

The 'Dough-Napart' is Angel Food's interpretation of the infamous 'Cronut' - that donut/croissant hybrid pastry from New York. Angel Food's interpretation is more croissant than doughnut, with flaky layers and a sweet buttery flavor, but glazed with Vanilla icing. It is difficult to eat just one. The Maple Bacon Doughnut is their classic raised doughnut, topped with maple icing and pieces of applewood smoked bacon. I like their interpretation because it is reasonably sized - unlike the colossus versions that can be found elsewhere. The Miss Martin was the biggest surprise for me. It's a classic raised doughnut with a lemon Thyme glaze. Subtle and sweet and tart - this is a grown-up doughnut. I find it to be highly addictive.

Angel Food has dozens of doughnut flavors, in addition to the full-fledged cakes, cupcakes, and cookies they make. They have something called the 'Lavender Menace' cake, which is pistachio pound cake with buttercream infused with lavender, lemon icing, and topped with roasted pistachios and candied lemon slices. It looks AMAZING!

As far as doughnuts downtown, Angel Food is among the best. And though their creations tend to be on the pricier side, it is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

As the old saying goes "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good". I just happened to make sure that my beloved arrived safely to her appointment at an adjacent restaurant. I was just going to "trip" around the area when I stumbled upon a little bit of heaven called "Angel Food Bakery and Coffee Bar". Those who've read some of my other reviews know that I like to support the locals. This is a tiny little chain that is really going to go places. It's truly a joy just to view the beautiful features that range from cookies, muffins, doughnuts, cakes, juices and coffees. A guest to this fine establishment also gets to watch these bakery artists in action. As an added plus, you get to eat these jewels and imbibe the espresso! I was surprised how little my selections took a bite out of my wallet, too! By the way, that restaraunt next door that I guided my wife is named appropriately. I was more than happy to discover Angel Food Bakery and Coffee Bar was next door to Ramsay's "Hells Kitchen"!

Reviewed 21 February 2017

This bakery has so many wonderful choices to choose from that you will want to make return visits to try new items. If you have a loved one celebrating a birthday or other special occasion they can make doughnuts to spell out anything you want to say.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I don't care which airline you fly. Make a detour to the E gates to try some incredible freshly baked donuts, cupcakes, biscuits , scones and even cronuts. Completely delicious and well worth a visit

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

donut orange with vanilla icing dry kind of stale. Not as good as the presentation that's for sure. Would not recommend.