“Positives and Negatives”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Sawmill Inn of Grand Rapids
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Our stay at the Sawmill Inn was extremely unique. It is an old relic of years ago. You still get to use a "key". Something my 14 year old daughter is not use to in this era of life. A new life lesson. The Complementary breakfast where very tasty in the restaurant. Where do you get 2 eggs, 2 sausage's, and toast for free?

Updating the beds and linen are a must needed change. The pillows where like tissue paper and the beds are worn and need to be retired. We where unable to adjust the room temperature so sweating off a few extra pounds is what we did.

The biggest problem is that my undergarments (my brand new Victoria Secret underpants) and a American Eagle shirt mysteriously disappeared out of my duffel bag. Somehow my Aveda hair gel found is way under the bed in a precarious way that it could have never rolled on its own. My medication count happen to go down without me taking anything. This is just creepy... I did call the hotel and reported my finding. No other reports have been made. I guess taking someones stuff a little bit here and there is not as noticed, as if I was just plain robbed. My life lesson is I guess you can't trust anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tillie5

Reviewed 17 September 2011

The restaurant is the only good thing about this place.. The halls are narrow,dark and gloomy. The ceilings are very low stained drop panels and that is before you see the rooms. Old beds and linens, and a bathroom that hasn't been refreshed in many years. The meeting rooms are tired and the appointments are well past their useful life. The ability to use any electronic equipment in the meetings is problematic. We no longer use this place for meetings and would never suggest it to anyone else.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Frank A
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Yes, it's old and dated, but it's the cheapest in the area, has a great free breakfast, and is locally owned. The lobby has charm and the bar is fun. Restaurant is one of the best in town. Tip - don't get a room by the pool if you plan on a quiet stay. Some people will be turned off by the outdated rooms - I stay there at least 10 nights a year for work and nothing has been dirty enough for me to go across the road to a chain. You can go to anytime fitness if you feel like working out and have dogs in the rooms. The frequent stay plan is great, also.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Angela Y
Reviewed 31 August 2011

OK, this bizarre at first, but I could not BELIEVE the pristine condition of this place!! It is outdated, but in a neat, historic way. I felt like a kid again. The price was right, I barely knew what to do with a real metal key, and I left this place in awe. It is the most well kept, pristine hotel I have ever stayed in. Thanks Sawmill, you made a great trip even more memorable. The mattresses were a little cheap, however.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NDfarmgirl
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I attended a festival in June and the host hotel was The Sawmill Inn. I arrived a little early (about 2pm) and the room wasn't ready yet. I wasn't upset, after all their check-in time is after 3pm. When I arrived in my room I was shocked at how old it was considering the price. There are other options in Grand Rapids for about the same price or a little cheaper and they are much nicer than the Sawmill Inn.

I had a room that was located on the first floor and the pool was right outside. Kids were loud from early morning to late into the night. They were there before and after the posted pool hours. I barely got any sleep the 2 nights I was there. The hotel beds were saggy and uncomfortable. The furniture and TV's are out dated and the bathroom was very old. This place needs a major makeover if they are going to charge more than $100 per night.

The only thing I think it has appealing is the lobby and restaurant on premises. The lobby is very much like a lodge and has a nice warm feel about it. The restaurant has the best bacon I've ever had in my life. The service and food in the restaurant was VERY good.

I had to wait almost the whole day to get my room serviced. This meant no fresh towels until late in the day. I would pass on this hotel and chose another one in the area.

Room Tip: Don't get a poolside room. Ask for one away from the pool if you want any peace.