“Aged motel, great restaurant & bar”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Sawmill Inn of Grand Rapids
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Littlefork, Minnesota
“Aged motel, great restaurant & bar”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Yes, it's old and dated, but it's the cheapest in the area, has a great free breakfast, and is locally owned. The lobby has charm and the bar is fun. Restaurant is one of the best in town. Tip - don't get a room by the pool if you plan on a quiet stay. Some people will be turned off by the outdated rooms - I stay there at least 10 nights a year for work and nothing has been dirty enough for me to go across the road to a chain. You can go to anytime fitness if you feel like working out and have dogs in the rooms. The frequent stay plan is great, also.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Angela Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Grafton, ND
Reviewed 31 August 2011

OK, this bizarre at first, but I could not BELIEVE the pristine condition of this place!! It is outdated, but in a neat, historic way. I felt like a kid again. The price was right, I barely knew what to do with a real metal key, and I left this place in awe. It is the most well kept, pristine hotel I have ever stayed in. Thanks Sawmill, you made a great trip even more memorable. The mattresses were a little cheap, however.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NDfarmgirl
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I attended a festival in June and the host hotel was The Sawmill Inn. I arrived a little early (about 2pm) and the room wasn't ready yet. I wasn't upset, after all their check-in time is after 3pm. When I arrived in my room I was shocked at how old it was considering the price. There are other options in Grand Rapids for about the same price or a little cheaper and they are much nicer than the Sawmill Inn.

I had a room that was located on the first floor and the pool was right outside. Kids were loud from early morning to late into the night. They were there before and after the posted pool hours. I barely got any sleep the 2 nights I was there. The hotel beds were saggy and uncomfortable. The furniture and TV's are out dated and the bathroom was very old. This place needs a major makeover if they are going to charge more than $100 per night.

The only thing I think it has appealing is the lobby and restaurant on premises. The lobby is very much like a lodge and has a nice warm feel about it. The restaurant has the best bacon I've ever had in my life. The service and food in the restaurant was VERY good.

I had to wait almost the whole day to get my room serviced. This meant no fresh towels until late in the day. I would pass on this hotel and chose another one in the area.

Room Tip: Don't get a poolside room. Ask for one away from the pool if you want any peace.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank dlabrake

Travellers are raving about these Grand Rapids hotels

Hayward, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The rooms are very outdated and need a complete makeover. We had what was suppose to be a non-smoking room, however, when you opened the door it is like you ran right into a big cloud of smoke. I would assume it was previously a smoking room that has about 20 years of smoke imedded in the walls. I had to buy candles to cover the smell. Then the airconditioning in the room would not work. The thermostate was at about 65 and the actual room temperature would not drop below 75 and was very humid. After complianing two times, we were offered a fan and a promise that it would be fixed the next day. However, the next day came and when and when asked about being fixed, they advised that he fixed some but didn't get around to others. I do not beleive that they even tried to fix it, judging by other reviews this has been a problem for years. The night shift manager asked if we would like to move to a different room, however, at 9:00 at night with 4 kids sleeping, it makes it kind of difficult. We had asked for some kind of discount which we adivsed we were going to receive, however, upon checking out the next day, no discount. When paying $90.00 a night, I expect a working air conditioner and a non-smoking room. I would not suggest staying there until the rooms are redone. The pool area is the only good thing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank spreng22
Minnesota
Reviewed 4 August 2011

It was July 2011 and warm in Minnesota. I stayed in a poolside room for a week. I was unable to control the temperature with the humidity in the room being poolside and the air conditioner didn't work that well. The air conditioner fan was in the wall over bed and was very loud - couldn't watch TV without having to have it very loud and probably disturbing neighbors.

Second day there I came back to room to find refrigerator setting was too high and a soda can had exploded inside and out. As I cleaned up the soda from the carpet the towel turned black instantly from the filth on the carpets. The carpet was sticky and filthy - you must wear shoes at ALL times.

Third, after turning setting on refrigerator down - another soda can had exploded opening up the door and leaving it open most of the day.

The room was dark, dingy and filthy.

The front desk service along with the housekeeping manager were rude with any requests we as a group may have had. We had a large work group and had very few needed changes and unfortunately were not treated very nicely after the monies spent at this hotel.

This hotel needs to be gutted and refurbished.

The restaurant was good and service was great.

Advertise free wi-fi - very spotty and not reliable.

Room Tip: Remodel WHOLE hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1.9 km away
The Itascan Motel
The Itascan Motel
#8 of 11 in Grand Rapids

Been to Sawmill Inn of Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!