All reviews lift bridge great location canal park waffles closest hotel lake view within walking distance the breakfast area balcony room king suite lake superior sitting area maritime museum excellent breakfast great room third floor sleeper sofa
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very impressed with all the staff we encountered during our 4 night stay last summer. They were all very friendly and obviously well-trained, including front desk, housekeeping, breakfast, and bartender. Hotel was very clean, Room was very nicely appointed, good furniture, many outlets, well lit, flexible reading lamps by the bed. Great bath, full vanity, large tub with stone tile walls. Large TV, large fridge, great temperature control. Good, strong wi-fi. Very good breakfast. Fantastic location, right on the shoreline, many nautical features a short walk away, with many shops, restaurants, etc. A bit pricey in summer, but offers a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I spent our anniversary there. We were greeted by Ellie the desk supervisor. We made a special request which she granted. The visit was what we would expect from Canal Park. Just walking distance to everything you want. Though we had checked out they allowed us to leave our car there while shopping. We would highly recommend a stay there. The breakfast was very good with plenty to choose from.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2018

I'm still pretty bummed about my stay Oct 13. I splurged and paid $440 for what I thought was going to be an amazing lake view suite. When I arrived the room immediately had a very bad odor. I called the front desk and the manager and maintenance arrived. I asked if the odor could be due to the recent flooding in canal park. I was told that the room wasn't flooded, but that water did indeed come right up to the building. The manager gave us a small discount as he stated the hotel was booked already and we couldn't be moved (I wasn't sure if this was 100% accurate since it looked like I might have still been able to book a room on the web app). Since we had plans and it was too late to find something else, we had no other options. Aside from the smell, this is not a room I would pay $440 for. I booked through the comfort suites website. Based on the pictures on the website, I was expecting a balcony that faces the lake. This was not the case. The balcony faces the parking lot. There were some windows looking out to the lake, which is actually right by the lake walk, which wasn't exactly the natural experience that I hoped for (pedestrians are right outside your window). The real kicker was when we arrived back from our evening plans I walked over to the far end of the room in my bare feet and noticed that the carpet was wet! Our room had water saturated carpet due to flooding which I imagine was the cause of the smell. This was at least 1/4 of the carpet in the room and I have no idea how that escapes the attention of staff 3 days after the flooding? There was nothing else that could be done at the time. I got horrible sleep because of the smell and a very loud heater fan and woke up with a headache. I called the desk in the am and the manager was very marginally apologetic. She finally took off a bit more of the cost so that our final bill was about half of the booking fee. There really is no way anyone should have been booked to stay in this room as it is a health hazard. I consider this a pretty big mistake on the part of hotel staff and I am just not satisfied about the resolution and customer service. I also really encourage anyone booking at this hotel to make sure to really understand the room you are booking. I'd call to schedule and ask a lot of questions before booking a room as I didn't feel the website pictures and descriptions matched what we encountered.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
LegacyGirl, Guest Relations at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am truly sorry that you had those issues while you were here. Because your review is anonymous, I am not able to determine what room you were in or look at your account to see what was done to compensate you. I am assuming you were in one of the deluxe jacuzzi suites with the fireplace, based on your description of a lakeside room with a balcony overlooking the parking lot.

I know there was bad weather during the date you indicated and it is quite possible that some of the dampness on the floor was from that. As housekeeping never goes into rooms without shoes, they might not have noticed that the carpet was wet and I will certainly talk with our Executive Housekeeper about that issue.

Again, on behalf of the hotel I do extend my sincerest apologies for your bad stay.

Reviewed 17 October 2018

Wonderful hotel. Great location. When we stayed it was all decorated for autumn with pumpkins everywhere. We were steps from the lakeside boardwalk and canal. We could see ships in the Canal from our balcony. The hotel pool was clean and had a wonderful atmosphere, very soothing. the dining room for breakfast had a wall of windows overlooking the lake. the room was large, clean and well designed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south have a lift bridge view. North have a lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Lori V, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that amazing review and that great score is much appreciated. We are so glad that you noticed the great job out landscapers did on make us look like a "fall fantasy". I hope that you and your family will choose to stay with us again the next time you come to Duluth. We do hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 October 2018

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night recently. It was a little expensive but we picked it for the convenience to everything in Canal Park. Worth it...park the car and walk to ships, dining and shopping. It is clean and comfortable. We would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Lori V, Guest Relations at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for giving us that nice review score. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city and hope you will choose us for your next stay. We hope to see you again soon!