“What happened?”

Sammy's Pizza & Restaurant
Ranked #94 of 284 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Homemade sauce with secret spices. Dough that's made fresh every morning. Specialty meats and real mozzarella cheese. The sounds of crisp crust being cut into perfectly sized squares. That's what you'll find in the kitchen at Sammy's Pizza in Woodland.
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Sammy's used to be THE place to go for pizza. This time, and the last time, not very good at all. The crust was super chewy and tough and the sauce isn't the same. I think I will be looking elsewhere. Sorry to see it go downhill.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

We usually just go for the classic sausage which my wife is addicted to. Sammy's is a Duluth institution and has been around forever so it's always a safe bet. We recently moved back to Duluth after being away for a while and have to check out the other menu items.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

My husband, son and I decided to take a day trip to Duluth and while we were there we decided (against better judgement) to eat at Sammy's because my husband had had a few good experiences there in his younger years. So, much to my chagrin, it was HORRIBLE. The sign said "seat yourself" so we did, it took literally almost 10 minutes for someone to come over and ask what we wanted to drink, then we told her we wanted beverages and 3 buffets. The buffet was NOT A BUFFET AT ALL. It was 3 pizzas that had been sitting out there for what seems to be FOREVER. They were not even lukewarm. We were there for at least 45 minutes to an hour and no one offered us a refill or anything. My son only eats cheese pizza so she put an order in for one and that even took forever....I see all the pizzas pre-made and frozen in the freezer when I walked in so what took so long? The pizza was nasty! Im not sure what kind of tomato sauce or whatever they put on it but it was icky.
This place was very DISTURBING and the bathroom? OMG the paper towels were overflowing out of the trash and when I mentioned it to someone she said "OK". I wouldnt recommend this "family" restaurant to my ENEMY. Do better!

Reviewed 6 September 2016

The Woodland Avenue Sammy's is in a rectangular store front with windows along the front wall. The counter and restrooms are to the left. To the right are two rows of booths and tables divided by a half wall.

We were greeted and seated politely and quickly. Our drinks were brought promptly. My wife, son, and grandsons ordered a small pepperoni pizza and a small sausage pizza. I had a cheeseburger with Canadian bacon on it with fries. The pizzas are served thin with a very good cheese and mild sauce. My hamburger and fries were very good.

One of my grandsons spilled his drink. Our waitress brought him another and cleaned the table promptly.

The staff at this Sammy's and the staff at the Lakeside Sammy's have always been friendly.

Each Sammy's is owned by a different member of the same family. Menu items other than pizza differ. Woodland Sammy's serves hamburgers - not found at Lakeside Sammy's. Lakeside Sammy's serves calzones - not found at Woodland Sammy's.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Sammys pizza is great for eating in and also for delivery! It has a wide range of pizza choices plus build your own! It also has a great lunch buffet, with alot to offer! Alot of people say it is the best pizza in town. Sometimes a little more expensive but so worth it!