See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Fantastic food and fun, oh and two days of mountain bike races! Swim in the lake, hike in woods, sauna, hot tub, eat cookies. Leave electronics behind, there is WiFi but who needs it. Swans, changing leaves and deer to be seen.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
MaplelagResort, Owner at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thanks for your visit over Labor day weekend and the nice review. We enjoy this event very much and appreciate all the folks that make it such a special weekend.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

My family has visited every President's Day since the 80s, although I began attending in the late 90s. This trip is the highlight of my winter and it's not even close. The ambiance is unlike anything you'll find anywhere else. People truly care about one another. It feels like a one big family reunion.

The trails are perfectly groomed and there is a nice variety for skiers of every level. In my nearly twenty visits, I've never been unable to ski, although some years suffered patchy snow. It's the weirdest thing driving there during a warm spell; you start to get nervous when you've reached Detroit Lakes and there's barely any snow anywhere, and then poof - you're at Maplelag and there's snow!

Food is wonderful, especially Friday night spaghetti and fry bread. If you love the food, invest in the recipe book. I have made the Greek salad several times and just tried the egg bake this morning.

Evening entertainment is charming. I LOVE the dance and force my husband to join me among the kiddos on the dance floor. I have sadly had to miss the variety show the last few years, but I recall the audience being very appreciative. Some real talent among the President's Day guests!

I will leave you with this: In 5th grade, I vividly remember a five-paragraph essay prompt requesting I share a little insight into my favorite place in the world. I wrote about Maplelag. Keep in mind, my parents were great about vacations and I had traveled all over at this point in my life. But Maplelag won, hands down. I really wish I still had that essay - I'm sure every word would still apply.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
MaplelagResort, Owner at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice and heart touching review. We appreciate all our guests and are humbled by the ones that have been so loyal over all the years. Love the story about the essay. Thanks again and we look forward to many more years of great memories.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

I have stayed at Maplelag several times to cross country ski and can't recommend it enough. It's a family owned business and they seem to consider their employees family as well. As a result, guests are treated as family too. The cross country ski trails are excellent and fat bike trails have been added. The trail conditions are updated on a regular basis and usually they get a fair amount of snow. There have been years when the skiing hasn't been so great; it all depends on Mother Nature! The last two years I have attend an Old Time Music and Dance Event there called Moosejaw and it's a blast. Last year there wasn't much snowfall the entire season so I didn't get to ski but this year they had a total of 6 feet of snow. By the time Moosejaw rolled around in March, it was gone due to warmer temperatures! The accomodations are a little quirky and I recommend you look at the webpage to see what I mean.The food is served family style and is excellent. They also have a "bottomless cookie jar" policy and there are some 6 huge cookie jars with a wide variety of delicious cookies. There are no designated snowshoe trails but you can always set out on your own in the woods or drive to nearby Itasca State Park which has x-county ski and snowshoe trails.

Room Tip: Pricing is based on a tiered system. Check their webpage for an explanation.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
MaplelagResort, Owner at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thanks for your recent visit and the detailed review. We appreciate it very much. We always enjoy hosting MooseJaw, a fun way to cap off the winter season. Hopefully more snow next year!

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I have been to maplelag a total of three times. The first 2 times were in the summer and my most recent was during the winter. I love this resort in every season but it was exceptionally fun in the winter because the cross country skiing trails were amazing and it is so nice to come back to the cozy lodge and just hang out, get a massage, or swim in the very large hot tub. Maplelag has so many cute traditions like the weekly talent show, or the cookie jars that are always full. One of my favorite things to do is play hide and seek in the massive lodge. There are these two really cool towers you can hang out in and look out at the rest of the property. Maplelag cabins are also great! Each one is set up slightly different and there are also refurbished train cars you can stay in. Overall I would highly recommend Maplelag, it is the kind of place were families have been going every winter for many generations because they love the family that owns it and the great community feel of the resort.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and highlighting the family fun at Maplelag. A priority for us is to have everyone feel at home and comfortable. It has been a joy to see the families come back each year, watching the kids grow up and now those grown up kids are having kids! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

We went to Maplelag to cross country ski in January 2017. The conditions were excellent and the trails were well groomed. We also snowshoed and rode fat tire mountain bikes. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. The delicious meals were served family style and we enjoyed meeting fellow guests. We were treated like family by the owners and staff. We have taken many winter trip to the western U.S., but this was the best ever!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a private bathroom
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your visit this past winter and taking the time to write a nice review. We hope to have you as a guest again in the future.