“One of Our Absolute Favorites”

Shogun Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #21 of 132 Restaurants in Burnsville
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We've eaten here many times now and we come back as often as we can. We've eaten at many Hibachi places in the US and their chefs are as good and as entertaining as any we've ever seen.

Also, I don't know how they do it but their seafood is as good and fresh as any seafood restaurant on the coasts. The prices here are also very reasonable, especially if you're just looking for a good lunch.

I've had the scallops, the shrimp, the swordfish, the chicken... all of it is excellent. Even the simple soups and salads are excellent. And you can't beat a mouthful of free saki sprayed into your mouth from across the Hibachi... or "baby Saki" for the kids :-)

This has become one of our absolute favorite restaurants anywhere.

1  Thank Anthony R

Reviewed 21 January 2018

If you want to try something different and your are into spicy cooked sushi, i highly recommend the Volcano Sushi.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Just passing through town and had the opportunity to have dinner at Shogun. I was so happy with it, I came back the next night.

I always look for something unique on the sushi menu. Most places have the same types of fish and a selection of rolls. While I didn't find anything especially unique, I did find quality sushi and sashimi done well and attractively plated.

The first night I tried the chirashi dinner. This was about 14 pieces of fish with seasoned rice. A lot of places use a dish like this to get rid of items that people don't like, but this was a nice selection of fish plus a piece of crab and shrimp. Nothing too challenging and all delicious. For "desert" I had a spicy salmon hand roll (or hand cone). It was larger than most hand rolls I've had, and the salmon had some tempura crunch in it, which was nice.

The next night I went with a sashimi salad to start. This was large, thinly sliced pieces of fish on a bed of organic greens with some kind of sweet vinegar dressing. Very nice. Then I sampled some salmon and white tuna nigiri and indulged in another spicy tuna hand roll. The balance between fish and rice in nigiri sushi is always variable. Shogun lands on the side of less rice and more fish. I prefer that over the opposite. Often a little wasabi is placed between the fish and rice; I didn't notice that at Shogun, which is fine; I don't mind seasoning my sushi to my own taste, thank you.

This place has a lot of hibachi grills and groups of people celebrating birthdays. If that's your thing, I hear they do it well; I was over hibachi the second time I saw it. They also have a number of rolls. Again, not my thing. But the sushi and sashimi was very good.

1  Thank 185Craig
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Had our company dinner party there, lot of fun as the cooks/chef's entertain you while preparing your food. Quality & taste of food was very good.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

It's always somewhere that the kids enjoy. The entertainment combined with consistently good food and a simple menu make this a great family place. Like all of these restaurants it's noisy, smelly, basically it provokes all the senses - don't come here for a mellow date, come instead for a fun load time and you won't be disappointed.