“Anniversary Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brainerd
Whiteley Creek Homestead
Ranked #1 of 3 Brainerd B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2015

We got our cabin on short notice, Adrienne was very helpful on answering questions before we reserved our cabin. We fell in love with Whitely Creek at first sight. We stayed in the Out My Kitchen Window Cabin. Everything was clean and in order. The upstairs bedroom and bathroom was so quaint. We enjoyed our breakfast very much in the rustic old rail car. Spent a great evening drinking wine in front of the huge fireplace at main site. Extras included a treat in the afternoon, hot tea on the veranda in the morning, and the chickens roaming the grounds. Adrienne and Dick are very friendly and really made sure all was well with our stay, and provided us with insight to local attractions. We highly recommend this to those who want a quiet, rustic, relaxed time.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the individual cabin very much, felt like we were all by ourselves.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2014

We were upgraded to a cabin at no extra costs. It was nice to have a TV, again. The hostes is a very gracious person. She is attentive to everything. We liked the fire in the fireplace on the screened in porch. Too, we liked the coffee being available at 7:00 AM, Breakfast was at 8:30 AM in an old railroad dining car.

Our hostess made her breakfasts from scratch. No box mixes here. She even ground her own flour. I did not know organic food could be made to taste so good. My eggs came from free range chickens.

The place is rustic, be prepared for that. But you will like it once you're there. Yes, they have A/C and heat.

Try it! You'll like it.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our family has a cabin about a mile from Whiteley Creek and since we needed an extra bedroom during our annual family reunion, I volunteered to stay at this B & B. Believe me this was not a sacrifice but pure pleasure! Another family group had stayed there last year in a cabin and were very pleased with the property so we returned.

Since I do not give "excellent" ratings, except in very rare circumstances, this does get my highest compliments.

In reading the other reviews, I have to echo the same sentiments and won't repeat all of what has been said again.

Driving up the dirt road, one is encased in wild flowers which guide the guest to the Homestead.

Check-in was professional, warm and friendly. Since this is a property that is a B & B, there is a bit more to explain to each guest on the rhythm of the day. The signage to locate the entrance to the porch is a bit difficult to find, at first, because that is where you register. It is on the left side of the large building near the "parking" signage.

Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m. and in a unique setting off of the main porch. The dining is at individual tables so if you choose to be more quiet in the morning, that works out well here. The train car is interesting as are the many bits and pieces of the past which populate the space. The food is as unique as each room and not only do you get to enjoy healthy offerings, you are also provided with some information on the preparation and where the food/drink has been purchased. For those who appreciate this type of experience, you will not be disappointed.

There is great internet service available.

The common area is large and has a screened porch with tables and rockers plus a massive stone fireplace which warmed us on the cooler June mornings. Reading, cards, games, relaxing are all a part of a good vacation and this is a fine place for those activities. In the evening, the fireplace is lit and guests may sit around and enjoy wine (Bring your own) and a snack, nicely prepared and can also toast marshmallows, I am told. I did enjoy a special snack each night from chocolate pudding, gingerbread bread pudding, brownies, cookies, and an energy bar.

My room was in the main building called the "Starry Starry Night" room. They also have another room which I believe is the "4th of July" room. My preference would be for the Starry room which has an outside window and is larger. It has a nice private bathroom, wonderful mattress and is convenient to breakfast. The other options are private cabins rated in other posts and I have only been to one of them before so can't comment. It has a nice big comfy chair for reading late at night. There is no television, however.

The theme of Whiteley is traveling back in time and the thought and creativity to decorate the most tiny of spaces is a bit difficult to share. I came away with some nifty ideas for my own little cabin in the woods.

Next year, I will hopefully be able to return and enjoy another retreat during the very active reunion that takes place each year at my own cabin. It was a wonderful place to sneak back to and take a nice little nap!

If a B & B is your cup of tea and you like nostalgia and healthy food, this is one that won't disappoint. One can be private or chatty with other guests and customize your visit to suit your needs.

Room Tip: The cabins are more private. If you choose a room in the main house, the Starry Starry Night is lar...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here as a mini honeymoon in June of 2013. They only had the 4th of July room left and it was fine for us. The only bad thing is that it was right by the door where everyone comes in and the windows over look the common area so you don't really want you curtains open. The owners are friendly and very welcoming. They have a huge fire place on the screened in porch that is an old truck bed--it's very nice to sit around it when it's cool and chat with other people. They also usually have marshmellows to roast. Also treats at night. The breakfast area is an old traincar and very unique. I wish we could have enjoyed it more, but unfortunately we were in town for my father-in-laws funeral. I love the chickens that roam around.

Room Tip: I would suggest a cabin apart from the main house.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

It truly was a treat to spend two nights in this most unique bed and breakfast. The little cabins are very quiet and absolutely charming - giving us a sense that we had traveled back a couple decades in time. We enjoyed sitting by the big fire in the main house at night and before breakfast the next morning. We loved the "Out My Kitchen Window" cabin and hope that I'll be able to return to try some of the other cabins.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LouisaL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brainerd
17.9 km away
17.2 km away
Shady Hollow Resort
Shady Hollow Resort
#4 of 5 in Brainerd

Been to Whiteley Creek Homestead? Share your experiences!