“Long day, longer night”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Traverse City, Michigan
“Long day, longer night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had originally booked our stay at the Baymont Inn in Wyoming through Hotwire. When we arrived at Baymont, they had a King room for us. (2 adults/2 children) That didn't work. Called Hotwire as they had guaranteed room. (Not reviewing Hotwire, but this is the first & last time I will use them!) The clerk at Hotwire phoned clerk at Baymont, who said the same thing, they were sold out and King room was the only opening available. Hotwire clerk very friendly and said he would find us a new room. 35 minutes and 100 apologies later, ended up at Hyatt Place w/double room. Checked into Hyatt w/help from "Oscar", but wait, only room available was King, but Oscar said the pull out sofa was just as comfortable as one of their beds. At that point, I agreed. Unfortunately for our party, Grandson whose 11th birthday we were celebrating and 4 year old Granddaughter, the hotel was full of pre-teen soccer players. The hotel was trashed. We had taken the King room nearest the pool on the first floor. The sofa did not pull out in that room! The pool was full of unsupervised soccer players and no one got to swim. We did rent "We bought a zoo" for $18.01 from the in room movie selection. There was so much commotion going on outside our room, we could barely hear our movie. We did all get cozy in the King bed to watch the movie, so there was that!
Oh yes, when we first went to the pool, I went right back out and told Oscar about what was going on, but the hotel did not provide supervision or life guards.

Room Tip: Think the King Suites other than the first floor do have pull up couches?? I'd ask for certain.
1 Thank tlwintc
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear tlwintc,

I’m very sorry to hear you and your family had such a difficult time celebrating your grandson’s birthday with both of your negative hotel experiences. I regret that the soccer team caused such a disturbance and that the team was left unsupervised by the coach, this can be quite a challenge for my team as well. I’m also very sorry that the pull out sofa in the room you were given did not appear to pull out; they are installed in each of our rooms. Please accept my personal apologies for all of the above.

Best regards,

Nick Fischioni, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New Baltimore, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We came in fairly late (1:30 am) and it took a minute or two for someone to meet me at the desk. She was friendly and talkative. Had I not just had a VERY long day, this would have been good but she had no way of knowing that. The room was nice and the bed very comfortable. We had the king size suite. Our daughter slept on the couch and didn't even need to pull out the hide-a-bed. The room has one large plasma TV that pivots between the sitting area and bed area. I think I would have preferred two smaller sets but I'm not sure how that would work noise wise because the divider was small. The biggest downer of the room was the bathroom. The door to the bathroom was so large, and the room so small, that you either had to step into the shower (and hope it wasn't wet) or straddle the toilet seat in order to open the door. Otherwise the room was nice.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for your review Art-n-Lisa, I’m glad you enjoyed your room along with the reception you received when you checked in. Traveling can be tiring, I’m sure you were exhausted by the time you arrived. I hope you and your family enjoyed your visit to Grand Rapids.

Yours truly,

Romeo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Place. The room was very clean and the hotel was beautiful. It had a very modern look to it. I have nothing bad to say about it!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I came work a very large party who travels to the area every year around the same time. It is a difficult to accommodate a large group like mine and the Hyatt was the only hotel around that could.

When I first arrived I was a little annoyed that none of our rooms were ready but we did arrive earlier than expected so that wad not the fault of the hotel. We had a catered lunch that was good and the staff was very accommodating. One in our party odds approx to shellfish and nuts and Amber on staff went immediately to find her more salad dressing. I was impressed with her quick response and three amount of other options that she provided.

After lunch, our roomd were still not ready but again the hotel said thy did not expect us until 3pm. By about 2:30 our room was ready. The rooms are great. They are large, modern, and comfortable. It was nice to have a living room to socialize in.

One staff member went above for us and I couldnt have ask for better service from Bram, one of the managers. He was extremely attentive and on top of it. He made sure we were enjoying our stay and had everything we needed. He definitely made our stay better because of the attention we received. I would recommend this hotel too anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear5 lilcarp18,

Thanks very much for the five star review, and especially for taking the time to mention Amber and Bram, it absolutely made their day! It was our pleasure to have your group with us and I’m glad to know you had a positive experience. We hope to see you again next year!

Best,

Riley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The room was a very comfortable, lots of space to move around. The only minor complaint I had was the tv was set up more for rental movies and specials as the free cable tv was very limited for choices. I was hoping to watch the hockey game and the only way to see it was to purchase the hockey center ice for the night. Very nice swimming pool, and the breakfast was above average.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daniel f
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you for your review and recommendation!  We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,
Nick Fischioni, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyoming
3.2 km away
5.9 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center
13.9 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Downtown

Been to Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South? Share your experiences!