Each year a small group of us head out for a girlie weekend with spa/facials and a jolly good time. This has been a tradition for the last few years and is generally in the Bucks/Berks region.
This choice was a disaster and as a group we decided on a rating of 2 stars as the hotel is now memorable for all the wrong reasons.
The hotel grounds are magnificent and the public areas for guests and visitors are superb. The Grand Hall directly on entering is majestic with a huge fire place and a log fire. A log fire is a deliberate choice of words as there really was only 1 log burning. Ceremoniously another 1 log would be laid .... of course this is inadequate to heat any part of the room, it really was just for show.
1. The main issue was a non-working toilet in a room shared by 2 of the guests. Despite reporting the issue to reception before dinner, it was not fixed. The guests used the WC at Reception during the night as it was too embarrassing to risk using the loo and it not flushing. The problem was reported to Reception again the next morning and someone from Concierge was sent up (not a plumber). It was confirmed that the cistern wasn't working.
A bill adjustment was offered but the room should never have been rented out with this problem.
2. Pre-booking of twin rooms: Despite assurances that the hotel offered twin-rooms, on check-in the rooms were doubles.
3. Bathroom shower curtain: The shower curtain is not long enough and doesn't cover the outside of the bath, so as a consequence all the water from the shower will flow outside of the bath. In the other ladies' guestroom, the bathroom ventilator wasn't working so after 1 person had a shower, the other guest couldn't have one till the floor had dried the next day!
4. Restaurant: Dinner was booked for 8.00 pm and the service was very slow. A package was booked to include evening dinner, but the menu/vegetarian options were not very appetising so we all ended up ordering from the a la carte menu.
5. Spa/Bar Lunch: We had 2 x lunches, one at the Spa and one from the Bar. The soups were good, the sandwiches were mediocre. On one of the sandwiches the bread was stale.
We were all thoroughly disappointed with the overall experience and would not recommend nor stay again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Danesfield House Hotel and Spa is located between Marlow and Henley-on-Thames in Buckinghamshire, just 30 minutes away from central London. Surrounded by 65 acres of landscaped gardens and parkland with the River Thames and Chiltern Hills as a backdrop this romantic country house is home to 79 individually and beautifully presented bedrooms and suites, some with traditional luxury and others in a more contemporary style offering extra space over two floors. The Restaurant at Danesfield House is known for using seasonal local produce with menus changing regularly to reflect this and in warmer months The Terrace is ideal for alfresco dining especially enjoying a quintessentially British afternoon tea overlooking the gardens. Spa Illuminata at Danesfield House is an award-winning spa, specialising in overall wellbeing and relaxation. Featuring a 20-metre azure blue swimming pool, eight treatment rooms, studio and fully equipped gym, the spa offers residential experiences, day spa, treatments and health club membership. Visit Danesfield House Hotel and Spa, relax and experience ultimate British hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Danesfield House Hotel And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Danesfield House Hotel And Marlow
- Danesfield Hotel Marlow