“Not a Michelin star experience”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This hotel is in a fabulous location. They are in their element for company events and especially weddings. The fine grounds are superb and well worth exploring, the staff are friendly and helpful, and it has a great spa and gym. BUT, and there is a " but" coming.

The Oak Room boasts a Michelin star chef and, therefore, we were especially
attracted to try his food. We are used to fine dinning and expected a fine
dinning experience. We felt let down.

Firstly, the restaurant dress code ("smart casual") was liberally interpreted by those present. A simple dress code rule of “jackets for gentlemen" might have prevented the down market appearance of some of the diners. Secondly, the wine I ordered was not available. A restaurant of this standing should have up to date wine list. Next, my wife’s menu fell apart (?!).

We had to ask the “front of house” lady to kindly request one of the guests to stop using his mobile phone (which the diner ignored and continued to use). The wedding party next door were obviously enjoying themselves with sounds of their screams, disco, and fireworks pervading the restaurant atmosphere. Oh yes -the food? It was beautifully presented but remarkably bland. Taking into account the overall lack of ambiance, the distractions, and an unadventurous dining experience (e.g. the cold, hard Foie gras), at over £200 for our meal for two this was not a Michelin star experience for us.

The final episodes were at breakfast. A shoeless diner sets the scene. Our eggs Benedict miraculously turned into smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which meant that, by the time we had got the food we ordered, staff were clattering plates around us and clearing up the breakfast room as we were the only ones left following our long wait.

It is not cheap hotel - a dry sherry will cost you nearly £9. If you want to spend your money wisely on luxury food and drink this is not the place for you. The cost of fine food at over £100 per head is not unreasonable for haut cuisine and there are several restaurants locally where you will feel your money is better spent.

The venue caters perfectly for large functions/weddings so be aware if you are a couple hoping for a romantic quiet weekend you may get swamped.

Room Tip: Fantastic rooms in the main house
2  Thank M A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 2 September 2011

My Christmas gift of a midweek spa break was just what I needed after a period of illness.

Service in both the hotel and spa was impeccable and yet friendly. My Junior Suite was very comfortable if a little warm when I arrived. A room guide to the equipment would have prevented the need for the Concierge to come up to help me work out how to use the TV and wifi.

The grounds are lovely and the views of the Thames wonderful. I was pleased to discover the plaque telling the history of the site.

I enjoyed my swim in the pool very much and the massage w hich followed removed the last of the stress that had built up during my illness. The masseur chose the ideal essential oils based on the medical form I'd filled out while waiting for my appointment.

No review would be complete without mention of the food. The evening meal in the Orangery was very good indeed - the waiter was very knowledgeable and helped me choose the perfect wine to complement the meal.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PatHarris
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is the most beautiful hotel i have ever stayed in.The reason for our visit was just to escape and relax after a very stressful time when my father passed away.The grounds, hotel, rooms , staff, service and facilities were second to none. The staff were all so professional,helpful and always greeted you with warm smile which is so rare nowadays but much appreciated!
I can recommend the Orangery resturaunt the food and service was superb.
I only have one critisim and that is the TV's in the rooms need to be updated to flatscreens and more channels need to be available, i know that most people do not go to such a beautiful place to watch the TV but they were so dated and looked out of place in the grand rooms.
Thank you to all the staff at Danesfield House for a wonderful weekend and we will be back!!!!

2  Thank habibi25
Management response:Responded 26 September 2011

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed staying with us in August, equally so I can confirm that our rooms are now fully equipped with 32 Inch High Definition TV sets with over 70 channels, within our Executive Suites there is a an enhanced 42 inch TV and in room music system for Smart phone docking.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Best wishes,

Daniel Healey
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary and we were really impressed. Having worked in the travel trade for many years, I have seen lots of luxury hotels, and so I have high expectations. I wasn't disappointed with Danesfield - the service was excellent and the property itself was very charming. We especially enjoyed a very extravagant breakfast in bed, which we enjoyed in our bedroom suite. We made the most of the hotel amenities, and we especially enjoyed a game of tennis overlooking the Chilterns, pitch and putt on a very posh lawn, a game of billiards in a very handsome dark wood gallery and of course, the very lovely spa facilities. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and made us feel very much at home. We ate twice in The Orangery which was most pleasant, with excellent views of the surrounding countryside.

1  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stayed with my boyfriend at Danesfield House for a weekend in August. The hotel building was beautiful but a bit dated, location great and the grounds lovely (if you like nature of course). We had a junior suite with a view of the garden and the Thames. The room was a good size, had a big comfortable bed, nice bathroom and nice decore. Only downside of the room was that the junior suites share a balcony which means you are always at risk of a neighbour walking by your window and looking in.

Unfortunatly the proper restaurant was closed during the weekend we were there and the Orangery was fully booked but we tried the bar menu and the food was nice (for that type of menu; burgers, lasanga, salads etc). The continental breakfast buffe was good and quite varied. The attention of the staff to breakfast and bar guests was not always great though, we had to get up and go looking for the waiters several times. The spa treatments were also fully-booked but we tried the pool area and gym which were both ok, but not in themselves any reason to choose Danesfield over any other hotel if you are going to the area.

The reason the overall rating is not higher is because of the lousy treatment we recieved when making a complaint to management. One evening we asked hotel staff to have a taxi called for us. The taxi ended up charging us double price for the trip as it was a private car hire with driver instead of a taxi - as we hadn't been prepared for this, we didn't have all the cash needed to pay the driver and ended up in a fairly akward situation (apparently the driver could have charged the amount to our room, but we were not informed of this). When asking the reception manager why this car had been booked without asking us, we were informed that a hotel of Danesfield's high class can't call regular taxis and it was very clearly implied that since we complained we were not high class guests. Following some discussion, the reception manager removed the difference between their private car and a regular taxi from the bill but didn't offer any apology or compensation. The taxi/car fare was quite small, but being insulted when asking for an explanation to the situation meant we left Danesfield feeling angry and disappointed with what was otherwise a nice weekend. If you are not the type to comment on bad service to staff, then Danesfield will probably work fine for you but otherwise I recommend staying away.

1  Thank Emma351
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
3.9 km away
5.6 km away
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#4 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!