Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
USD 119*
Hyatt.com
USD 115*
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica(Utica)(Great Value!)
USD 119*
La Quinta
Comfort Inn Utica(Utica)(Great Value!)
USD 98*
USD 129*
Free cancellation until 01/06
USD 130*
Orbitz.com
All reviewsliving roomhome away from homefull size refrigeratordeep cleaningbreakfast dinnerwedding blockcomfortable roomslobby areabusiness meetinghot breakfasthousekeeping staffa great staythree nightsbreakfast roomfridgepopcorndetroit
Reviewed 7 December 2017

There's an advantage to changing rooms: my room was being readied for renovation, so no TV! When I discussed this at the desk, a TV was promised, but as time lagged on, staff moved me into to a newly renovated room! While the room I was in was nice, but showing a little wear and tear, the newly renovated room was GREAT in appearance, in convenient & more comfortable changes in layout. Now, couple this re-newed look & comfort with an evening meal (Mon-Tues-Weds) and hot breakfast...well, you will be hard-pressed to find a better deal in the area. I'm already anticipating a great stay in March 2018 when I'll have to return! HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2017

The only reason this hotel is ranked 5 of 7 in Utica is they do not have enough reviews AND there is not much competition!

My husband and I booked this hotel based on a local friend’s recommendation and our need for a two bedroom suite. I called a few weeks in advance and spoke with a front desk agent, Erica who left me on hold for several minutes three times. She informed me that there were no two bedroom suites available for our requested dates, but she could secure a regular suite with connecting handicapped suite. I agreed and booked the reservation. I also inquired about if there was adequate parking for our 40ft RV that we were traveling in. She assured me there was appropriate parking. The day before our arrival, I called the hotel to confirm our reservation for the connecting suites and that parking was available. I called one more time as we were approaching the destination and reconfirmed one last time.
Upon our arrival in the evening 11/19/17 and after driving from Florida, we were told by the front desk agent, Franco our connecting suites were NOT available and he had no idea where we should park our RV. He had no clue if there was another suite in the hotel that was connecting, so he had to go upstairs and check while we waited with our three children in the lobby. We were then checked into 231 and 233. There was nothing appealing about these rooms. They had a stale odor, they were not clean and there were many maintenance issues such as light bulbs out, buzzing sound from other light fixture and a chair malfunctioning. At this point we were too tired to argue and asked for a manager to please contact us.
It was not just an old hotel, it was dirty and not maintained. The next morning after breakfast, we went back to our suite to find the door propped wide open by a towel stuck under it and a housekeeper inside. She was back in the bathroom and CLUELESS that we entered the suite! She never asked who we were, if we could verify our identity and argued about why the door needed to be open while she cleaned. I demanded to speak with her supervisor who also argued with me. I explained to her that I worked in hospitality management for several years and to save herself from arguing further. Bottom line is they left our suite unsecure and anyone could have stolen my camera, my husband’s laptop or anything else that was in plain sight and only a few feet from the door. I also sent an email asking for Mr. Ken Grandmaison the GM to contact me, which I am not surprised he never did because his lack of concern seems to trend contagiously through his entire staff.
No one responded so I sent ANOTHER email and finally got a response from his assistant, Sierra. She left me a voicemail and said we could move to a different suite. As you can imagine, during our short vacation, this is not how we wished to spend our time repacking all of our 5 suitcases and food after finally getting settled, but we did. The new suite 110 was a better layout, but also very rundown. I realize the hotel is preparing for a renovation, but there is no excuse for the grime dripping down all of the doors, dirty handprints, a filthy shower I barely wanted to stand in and mold all over the bathroom wallpaper.
Normally, we would have tried to get these issues resolved, but just did not want to waste any more of our vacation time on matters we realized would not change. Later that day we arrived back to the hotel to find a note from the neighboring hotel on the window of our RV. We brought it to the front desk agent, Mayra and she assured us it was already handled and that she spoke with the Courtyard Marriott. The next day (Thanksgiving) our holiday was interrupted by a call from Mayra telling us the Courtyard Marriott hotel needs us to move our RV or they will have it towed. We were appalled by this because she is the same associate that stated the issue was resolved the day before. I told her to have the GM call me. Five minutes later I received another call, but this time from the Utica Sheriffs deputy stating that we must return immediately to avoid being towed. I pleaded with him that our front desk associate already took care of this and he stated the Courtyard was unaware of any arrangements and if we were not back in 30 minutes or less, we would be towed at our own expense. This was the final straw for us! Let me add that my mother passed away in February, so we decided to drive from Florida to Michigan to spend Thanksgiving with close friends. Can you imagine how we felt having to cease our celebration, rush out the door and LEAVE?!?!?! This is unacceptable!
Needless to say, we still never got the courtesy of a call or email from the GM and, to no fault of our own, our holiday celebration was cut short! Honestly, we can deal with the hotel not being immaculate, but the amount of aggravation we endured leading up to actually having to leave in the middle of Thanksgiving is uncalled for and completely deplorable! This hotel needs a reality check and serious customer service training after the renovation is complete. You can only be mediocre with a new product if your entire staff does not about your guests.

Room Tip: Find a Marriott
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Hi ko2dance!

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're very sorry to learn about the cleanliness, maintenance, and hotel staff's service issues that you had to endure. What you described is certainly not what our hotel strives for, nor is this our usual or our best. I reached out to you privately to learn more about the details of your reservation, and I look forward to your response.

In spite knowing that we failed to make your Thanksgiving vacation special, we're still grateful that you chose to stay with us. We hope we can win back your heart and try us again.

Safe travels,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 9 November 2017

This is a hidden Gem. Very up-to-date Hotel, out of the way (quiet setting) with good amenities. Friendly staff, too! Nice breakfast and lobby area with fireplace. Pool outdoor area is sharp! Bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Go for the King bed room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Pros: Friendly staff. Good parking. Breakfast.

Cons: Slow internet, Speedtest: 1Mbps. Carpet feels gross to walk on. Bath tub floor has repairs and I would not want to take a bath in it. Main door handle only worked pulling up and not down.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Hi d21x,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is great to read from our guests on how we are doing. I am glad to learn you found our staff friendly and enjoyed the breakfast. On the other hand, I am so sorry for any inconvenience you may have had with the slow internet service and the issue you had with the bathroom. These were noted and forwarded to the management team for reference.

Again, many thanks for your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The front desk staff, as well as the housekeeping staff we would pass in the hall, were very friendly. An added perk was an outdoor hot tub. No complaints!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thanks for your feedback!! I'm pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at Staybridge Suites in Utica. Our team looks forward to providing exceptional service to our guest. We pride ourselves, and make it a commitment to serve our guest with our best ability.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon.