New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Homewood Suites Detroit Troy

Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Shelburne, Vermont
“A Business friendly location- great access!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel is ideally situated for anyone doing business in Troy, Sterling Heights, Rochester and Bloomfield Hills. The hotel is clean, the rooms which are suites are very comfortable. The breakfast service starts at six which is earlier than other hotels in the area. By the way, dinner and complementary beer and wine starts at five Monday through Thursday. I have stayed her for several years and the service is always excellent. The staff knows the area and are great with directions.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Wadi S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I've had to stay in a hotel in this area many times in the last year, and I've tried other places, including the Radisson and the Townsend. This is just an excellent place to stay. The location is great. The accommodations are immaculate, the beds extremely comfortable, and the kitchen is perfect. I had a few maintenance issues, but they were fixed immediately and cheerfully. Each time I was given a voucher to use at the well-stocked (sodas, snacks, medicine, etc.) sundry shop next to the front desk. The housekeeping staff is very accommodating and gracious. Breakfast was great and included eggs. I didn't take advantage of the free dinner in the evenings. I was given a DVD player to use free of charge and the internet was free as well. I will stay here from now on. The only negative thing I can say is that the living room furniture is a bit dated and worn, but at twice the price, the Townsend has the same problem!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ellencarroll27
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I checked many reviews to find a hotel that would be accessible to my parents' house, yet close to Detroit, and still safe for our family. This was the perfect location, and an excellent hotel. We stayed in a suite, which gave us plenty of sleeping space for 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 7 to 13). We liked having a refrigerator for our drinks and snacks. The hotel served a nice breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, cereal, biscuits & gravy, yogurt, etc.) The menu was different from the previous day, which was nice. In the evening, they also served free beer/wine and a few snack items. The room's heating/air mechanism worked well. There is an indoor pool, but no hot tub. For me, the only "minor" complaints were that our mattress wasn't equal to what we have at home (a common complaint with me, however), and the rooms seem to carry sound: The last night, we had someone above us, stomping around and slamming drawers. Luckily, he/she was quiet at night, so we didn't have any real issues with disruptive noise. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CTheWorld-5
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel for three long-term trips for 3-4 weeks per stay (Jan. 2011; May 2011; Feb 2012). I travel frequently to Detroit for business and I highly recommend this property for extended stay visits or even personal travel. The rooms are always very clean and housekeeping staff is very accomodating. The workout room is a little smaller than other properties I've stayed at, but the pool is great. Laundry facilities are also adequate - 2 coin-operated washers and 2 dryers. Detergent and bounce dryer sheets are provided free of charge, which is a nice bonus. Internet is free and reliable; I've never had a problem with connectivity and I connect through a VPN. A desk, chair, and lamp are also included in the suites, so it makes for woking on the road very easy. You can also ask for a DVD player; they are available at no cost.

Breakfast and dinner are included. I agree with other posters; the dinner is an actual meal and not snacks like the Marriott Residence Inn serves. Breakfast and dinner options rotate, and fresh fruit and vegetables are a regular part of the menu, so it is fairly healthy as well. My only comment is food does run out relatively quickly, and there sometimes is a delay in restocking.

There is also a strip mall next door with a Wal-Mart and several other smaller shops like Subway, so it's easy to pick up a quick meal or incidentals, but there are some questionable characters freqenting the strip mall.

The hotel is also very quiet and not overly crowded, which I also like. The hotel is set back away from the main road a little bit, so you're not dealing with road noise. However, the property does border the Oakland-Troy airport, which is a smaller airport for private jets, etc., but noise isn't really an issue, and I've always had rooms facing the airport.

Overall, I'd highly recommend for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DCTraveler2011
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I only stayed here once- but it was for 30 nights! I was quite pleased in all respects....nice spacious suites, indoor pool, great service with a smile, wonderful location - you can't go wrong at the Homewood!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HomewoodSuitesTroy, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Detroit Troy, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for your positive review of your stay with us. Our staff was thrilled with your feedback regarding the Homewood Suites team and our hotel. We strive to make our hotel a home away from home for our guests and I am glad your 30 night stay with us was a great experience! We hope to see you back in Troy again.