“great coffee, yummy snacks!”
Review of Blk Mrkt

Blk Mrkt
Reviewed 24 March 2017

This is my go-to coffee place. It's low-key, delicious, and everything is made in-house. The coffee is delicious, as are any of the snacks/breakfast offerings that I have tried. It's a little off the main area of downtown, which is one of the reason's I like it!

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

Cute little coffee shop with industrial decor within the Warehouse Market. Good lattes, good atmosphere. Loved the building shops that it's next too.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

BLK MRKT has the potential to be a 5 star spot, all the ingredients are in place from the well thought out coffee brands (more Madcap, please), to the homemade syrups, and pour overs, all the way down to the lovely window that opens wide to the outside. However, this morning it was haphazard at best, earning my first visit to BLK MRKT as a 3 star visit.

We are regular visitors to Traverse City and have lamented over the poor choices for hand crafted espresso drinks for many years, so we were beyond excited to find that BLK MRKT is making espresso the way we like it.

BLK MRKT is the *only* place in Traverse City making coffee in a hand crafted way. And, you should go there if you appreciate good espresso and pour overs.

However, they have some quirks to work out. There were only 2 people working in the front this morning. One taking orders and the barista (Chuck?). Nice fella, but he was getting increasingly frustrated as the drink orders piled up and increasingly sloppy. At first he was measuring and making sure each drink was carefully done. But the two mochas we ordered were thrown together and handed to us in a huff.

Chuck apologized and blamed it on everyone showing up at the same time. This is Traverse City in the summer. It's busy. And it's the day before a *major* film festival starts in town. Why only 2 people working?

I love that BLK MRKT wants to handcraft my drink and take their time, but don't blow that philosophy just because orders are stacking up. Hire someone else simply to prep the drink cups with the proper milk, syrups, etc.

I was happy to wait the half hour for 2 mochas. Until I saw the nature in which they were prepared, then handed over to me as if I had done something wrong by showing up on a busy morning.

I'll be back in town in a few weeks and will go to BLK MRKT again and will update with a new review. I certainly hope they get it together to serve the high quality product, along with the high quality preparation that I believe their business is based on.

Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

I'm an experienced traveler/coffee connoisseur. Highly recommended! This is as good as any of the best independent cafés I frequent in Chicago. Can't wait to return!

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Although raised in Michigan, I've lived on the West Coast for most of my adult life. Once you get to San Francisco, people start taking their coffee very seriously, the Pacific Northwest is even more serious about coffee quality and execution. In Alaska, there were drive-through espresso shops in the mid-90s. I also spent three months traveling in Ethiopia, the birthplace of coffee where every small cafe has an espresso machine and sometimes a generator to run the espresso machine thanks to the Italian Occupation. I am a person who appreciates good coffee.

The coffee options in Traverse City are not good, with the exception of the BLK MRKT. The coffee there is perfect. The baked goods are elegant and exceptionally tasty as well. If you are pining for a cappuccino that is made correctly (6 oz etc) go to the BLK MRKT.