“Great breakfast spot off the beaten path”
Review of Blue Heron 2

Blue Heron 2
Ranked #87 of 329 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Our menu features breads, pastries, soup and salads made with fresh, locally grown ingredients. Stop in and try our hearty, wholesome breakfast and lunch specials. Catering available.
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Tired of waiting in line at the Omelette Shoppe? You need to try this place.

The one downside of trying to eat out in TC is waiting. I know it's a busy town but I don't want to wait 2 hours for breakfast. By then it's lunch time. Thankfully we found this little place which only had a 5 minute wait...nice!

The place is small but quaint. You're greeted by fresh baked goods at the front counter and a smiling hostess ready to help you. After we got seated and ordered, things went a bit amiss. We noticed others around us that arrived after us getting their meals. Our puzzled looks were met by the waitress telling us something happened to our ticket and the kitchen was finally preparing our meals. Without protest from us she offered a discount and free item from the aforementioned baked goods. I enjoyed a very tasty oatmeal raisin cookie while awaiting our meal.

My wife had the squealer omelette with potatoes and a side of their homemade sausage. The omelette was good, but nothing special. The sausage was a bit bland. The potatoes were very good, thin and slightly crispy on the edges.

I had the sausage bowl. It was very good. Again, the sausage was a bit bland. Everything else was very good in the bowl.

Our son had the kids fruit parfait. He must have liked it because we have a great picture of him with yogurt covering the bottom half of his head. Between all our dishes his had the best presentation.

We were surprised that they reduced the bill by 50% to make up for the ticket issue. We weren't even going to mention it but I must say we were impressed with how they preemptively handled the situation. Overall it was a good experience and I'd like to go back to try some of the other menu offerings.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The place is a little "meat-centric" for me but the oatmeal was great. Coffee was good. Friend had an omelet that he liked very much. They are known for their sourdough bread. Service was excellent. I think her name was Angelique.

Julie W, Owner at Blue Heron 2, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback. We change our menus often and try to offer a good variety of gluten free and vegetarian options too. Hopefully we can tempt you with a different menu soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Got omelet wrap made with pesto in the batter and filled with feta cheese, spinach and sun dried tomatoes. One of the best I have ever had. Came with thin sliced potatoes and sourdough toast. Large portions. Not the cheapest breakfast in town but high quality.
Baked goods by register are very tempting. Tried a couple of cookies and will return for more.

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We appreciate your feedback. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Went with my 16 year grand daughter, either one of us was impressed. I had just a basic scrambled eggs and sausage, Ms M. had an omelet, both dishes where over powered with the taste of Chorizo sausage. Which I'm not a fan of, and either is M.

We've eating there about 3 other times and it has been OK, never great. This last visit Sunday was a, well our last for a while, if ever.

1  Thank 2151scott
Reviewed 7 June 2017

It has been awhile since I had been into the Blue Heron. It will be awhile again I'm afraid.
I had the Turkey/Asparagus sandwich. It tasted fine - the combination of turkeyetc - but the sandwich was sooooo greasy. The potatoes were the same way....

If you like your food floating in oil (olive I hope at least that would be healthy) then this is the place.

Julie W, Owner at Blue Heron 2, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Patrick, thank you for your review. I am sorry your meal was unsatisfactory. Can you tell me if you were in the TC or Cadillac location?