“Serious About Their Mission -- Sustainability To-Go!”

Higher Grounds Trading Co.
Price range: USD 0 - USD 6
Description: Step into our cafe and you'll find everything you need when it comes to coffee: brewing methods, travel cups and mugs, grinders, kettles and of course a wide array of freshly-roasted coffee. We love providing you with opportunities to improve your experience of coffee, whether that's at home with your own tools or here in our space, where we'll welcome you with a smile. You can chat with our friendly baristas to find just the right variety of coffee for your at-home brewing preference, sip a cup of our daily brew or a finely-crafted espresso drink, and learn about all of the various methods of coffee brewing.
Reviewed 12 September 2017

My mom & I discovered Higher Grounds while checking out The Village and decided we'd come back the next day for coffee before our long road trip home. The baristas are clearly very serious people -- both in terms of coffee and in terms of their company's mission to be sustainable. When I ordered the marigold latte (it sounds crazy, but is absolutely delicious and definitely worth it) and my mom's chai (also delicious!) to go, the barista asked if I was sure we wanted take away and explained how they do it. Some people might have found that rude, but I didn't feel judged -- I actually thought it was a really good idea to recycle mugs like that. I've been meaning to start using a reusable coffee cup at work and this experience encouraged me to actually look around for one. Mission accomplished, Higher Grounds!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Of all the coffee houses that I have been to around the world, Higher Grounds is my all time favorite! The staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to answering questions about proper brewing and setups (pour over temp, French press use, etc.).
I love the "honor system" for borrowing the coffee cup, and the fact that they allow customers to bring in their own mug.
Great place!

1  Thank Barbara R
Jennifer Y, Manager at Higher Grounds Trading Co., responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thanks so much Barbara! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I have passed HGTC dozens if not hundreds of times on my daily dog walk. Today it was hot out. My son and I stopped in for a cup of ice coffee. The place is kind of funky with a hipster feel. Unique coffee with a different but tasty flavor. A bit on the high side but it is tourist season in TC.
If you enjoy a unique cup will sitting in the open air patio you need to give it a try.

Jennifer Y, Manager at Higher Grounds Trading Co., responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thanks for stopping in Mike! So glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

The coffee is ok. The staff are not. Barristas are just plain old fashioned rude and somehow snooty. I don't get it. In particular people in Michigan are extremely nice, Higher Grounds Trading Co must have to really headhunt hard to find the few people that are rude in the area and employ them.

1  Thank mb2242014
Jennifer Y, Manager at Higher Grounds Trading Co., responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Hi MB, I'm very sorry you had a poor experience in our cafe. If you have any specific feedback you can provide about your visit, please email me directly: jennifer@highergroundstrading.com.

Thanks,

Jennifer Yeatts
Interim General Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2017

The coffee was expensive but absolutely worth it. We are happy to pay more for great coffee and for the Higher Grounds' sustainable business model.

Jennifer Y, Manager at Higher Grounds Trading Co., responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Thanks so much! We're glad you enjoyed the coffee. Cheers!