“We were a crowd and they managed it very well.”
Review of Black Pine Tree

Black Pine Tree
Ranked #7 of 105 Restaurants in Southgate
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 November 2018

We were there with my son and his whole family. That makes eight total. They managed it. Both the sushi appetizers and the tempura entre's were well prepared. The only part of the seafood that was not very good was the squid. You can call it what you want, it is still squid.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Best sushi spot I’ve ever been to hands down!!! Went for a quick lunch while I was in town to meet with my friend. He told nothing but great things about this place and now, I’m wishing this particular location would expand to Houston just for me!! The Obama roll is deliciousness all the way along with the salmon roll and many others. On top of that, the service was beyond excellent and accommodating, loved everything about the place and environment! Definitely a must stop for those who seek flavorful sushi and appreciates excellent customer service. I’m already looking forward to my next trip back to Michigan just to go here!!

Oh yeah, I also highly recommend getting the tempura crab sticks, you won’t regret it!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

I have both sat in and done carry out here. The sushi is good. The black tiger roll especially so. However every time I do carry out or eat in it’s a mess. I don’t know how they run their restaurant but each time i do carry out it’s 30-40 min to get my order. This is not on busy days and it’s sushi not gourmet French cuisine. One particular time I ordered well in advance and was told it would be 20 min. My friend went in to get the sushi since I was sitting in the car with my toddler. 10 min pass and then 20 and then 25. By this time it’s 40 min minimum since I called. I get my toddler out of the car and go in. The extremely small waiting area is super full of people. My friend says she keeps getting assurances that the food is coming from a front desk man but that there are people that are ahead of us and they’ve been waiting for an hour or more for their carry out order. I look around the actual restaurant and only half the seats are full so it’s not at all like they’re slammed. There’s 5 guys behind the sushi counter making sushi but it’s like the only things that are coming out are the table food. They’re completely ignoring the takeout orders. Needless to say I was very upset and talked to the front desk person. He went back to talk to the sushi makers and low and behold our sushi came out 5 or 6 min later. So in my opinion they were totally ignoring their takeout orders in favor of the restaurant. Very poorly organized. There’s more bad experiences including the tables being way to close together, slow service for no apparent reason and calling for carry out at 1 or 2 in the afternoon on weekdays when they say they’re open but only getting a voicemail that informs me that the voicemail doesn’t work and to hang up. On those afternoons i tried calling for a good half an hour and gave up. I have stopped going to black pine tree which is sad because they make good food but the trouble is not worth it at all.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

I honestly have little experience in the world of sushi, and most of those were awful. Came here with one of our daughters and it was excellent! Ordered the Obama, the Sukara,the crunchy crab California roll. All were amazing and they have made us sushi fans

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

I first came to this place about a year ago, have been here multiple times since then, and have enjoyed myself every time. The inside is nice and cozy; you have the option to sit at a table, or by the bar; and the noise level never been noticeably high. I love their sushi and the service has always been friendly. With the limited available seating, I would recommend calling ahead if you have a group of 5 or more to help alleviate some of the wait time. Of the available food options in Southgate, this is one of the locations I come to the most for good sushi and a good time with friends!

Date of visit: March 2018