All reviews master suite couples massage porch swing hot tub bed and breakfast my husband and i house is beautiful delicious breakfast nancy yard anniversary michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Doug and Nancy are the originators, innkeepers and heart and soul of this place. They labored to bring beauty back to this >125 year old mansion, and did a great job: from immaculate interior wood finish to a consummate garden and nice forestry preservation for a highway break. You will need a car or bike to make the 1-2 mile jaunt downtown, but this slightly inconvenient distance provides peace and privacy, albeit with slight highway noise along the Master Suite side if the property. All told, for the beauty, delicious hospitality, enjoyable and educational decor, cleanliness, and camaraderie - we would return - despite the slight jaunt to beach front!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 July 2014

South Haven is a fun and busy summer resort town, but a stay at the Monroe Manor adds elements of peace and luxury you wouldn't expect from a lakeside community. Just a few minutes' drive from downtown, the lovely lawns and elegant rooms of the Manor are perfect for relaxing and romance. We used to stay at a lauded (and much pricier) "manor" in town, but for several years now have made Monroe Manor our headquarters when in west Michigan. Our visit last week was as good as always--scrumptious breakfast, comfy bed with high-thread-count sheets, complimentary wine and cheese. It was warm enough for breakfast on the porch--and we relaxed there again in late afternoon, after a day of shopping in town. "Our" room is the Magnolia Room--its soft yellows are cheery and the shower is terrific!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for our 10 year anniversary. It's a wonderful little get away! A very short drive to downtown South Haven and the beach. I'm actually glad that we didn't stay downtown as this B&B is on a beautiful property away from the crowds downtown. There is a hot tub out back that's relaxing (and very clean). Breakfast was WONDERFUL and more than either my husband or I could eat. There's also wine and cheese around 5pm. We stayed in the master suite-the room and bathroom were both spotlessly cleaned with housekeeping each day. The queen bed was so very comfortable (and I am very picky about my beds!). We also did the couples massage which I would recommend if you want to treat yourself! Doug was a wonderful host and always available for questions. Thank you for the great weekend trip!

Room Tip: The master suite has a large claw foot bathtub with only handheld shower head. We loved the tub but something to keep in mind if you are a shower person.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed twice and have not been disappointed. We stayed in the Master Suite as well as the Arbor Room. They were both extremely clean and beautifully decorated!!!! The owners of the B&B are extremely nice and respected our privacy. The hospitality is wonderful as well as the complimentary food and beverages. The history behind this Manor is also interesting. You can view it here.... http://www.monroemanorinn.com/history.php

Although, both times - we were the only people in the B&B (due to staying in the off season in the dead, cold winter!) - we hope our third stay (end of April 2014!!) will allow us to meet new people and make new friends!!! :-) We would like to be able to experience this while staying at a B&B.

The location is nice. If one enjoys taking a walk, there is a nice long street where you can walk and get some fresh air. Also, if you enjoy priceless sunsets, the pier at South Haven is only a couple of miles away.

** I'd like to offer my opinion to those that were not happy with Monroe Manor. One reviewer mentioned that there was highway traffic noise. We did not experience this whatsoever. Another reviewer mentioned that the rooms were cold. Even if this was the case, each room includes a fireplace/heater.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmarqueling
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We choose Monroe Manor Inn B&B as our getaway for a relaxing honeymoon without the craziness of traveling long distance or flying (we live only an hour away) and looking for a peaceful and serene location where we could enjoy the peace and still have the option to be close to downtown for dining and enjoying the beach and summer sun. We were beyond impressed. We were wined and dined, ... read moreliterally, and signed up to have a couple's massage on our second day there - beyond amazing and hands down the best massage I have ever had! The breakfast each morning truly put the "breakfast" in the B&B standard and was beyond our expectations. I read another review complaining about no scones which I found personally to be an odd reason to mark down a rating, considering the already wide variety of home made breakfast served daily. This tiny, qaint little B&B offers more than a wide spread of breakfast delicacies that varies from day to day without repitition. I've never had a better breakfast nor a better spread in any place I've ever stayed, and that includes even at home. The food is amazing, the location is ideal and the stay was more than we could have ever asked for. (We even went out to the grounds for some of our engagement photos this spring and KNEW it was the perfect getaway for our low-key honeymoon!)

We left feeling relaxed and extremely satisfied with our stay and look forward to coming back to celebrate our anniversary (or for any other reason we can justify)! Thank you!

Room Tip: The Master Suite is not only worth every penny but the perfect getaway for a couple ... especially on your honeymoon!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple