“Good food, good service--but expensive wines”

Tello Italian Bistro
Ranked #17 of 76 Restaurants in South Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2015

This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend. It was within walking distance of our B&B, so we gave it a try. They were not busy, so we did not encounter the slow service or loud noise levels that others complained of. Our food was served promptly. My husband loved his shrimp dish (a special that included shrimp and vegetables over spaghetti). I tried the sausage risotto because of recommendations found on TripAdvisor, but found it too salty and the sausage also was heavy on fennel. It was, however, very filling, and I was able to get two meals out of it. Their wines, except for local Michigan wines, were very pricey. Fortunately, we had the Fenn Valley Capriccio which was lovely and worth the price. However, we had not been told until it was too late that there was a $3 wine and draft beer special going for early birds, and that might have changed our decision. Our server was not a wine drinker, so unfamiliar with the wines. Still, it was an OK choice. Would I go back again? Probably not, only because there were so many other places to try.

Reviewed 5 June 2015

We looked forward to dinner at this restaurant based upon the other reviews. Hostess was pleasant and they were not busy. There were plenty of open tables, but my wife and I were seated in between two groups of people 12" away to each side. Looking around there were plenty of spaces available for people to have some privacy of conversation.
The music was terrible. You would think an Italian restaurant might have music to set the mood. Rather we listened to the Carpenters and then Pearl Jam. Weird. Our food was under-cooked. The chicken was like rubber and pink. The entire experience was disappointing. It was bad food, in a crowded space, with bad music.

Reviewed 1 June 2015

We had reservations but the young girl at the front desk told us the manager would not seat anyone because they ran out of menus. This is the first time we ever heard that from a hostess, and we asked if we could sit at our empty table anyway. She said no because the manager would not let her. Others were told the same thing and we all asked why because have the tables were open. Finally another waitress agreed and sat us down. The waitress did not tell us about the specials, and the food was very oily. I had a puddle of oil under my spaghetti. It is a nice atmosphere and interesting me u but the manager needs to buy more menus and seat guests when they arrive.

2  Thank Wrldtrvlr16
Reviewed 18 March 2015 via mobile

I've been to Tello a number of times in the past couple years and it has been consistently good each time.

The wine is good, the service is good, and the food is quality. My favorite entree is the sausage risotto ($18).

The prices are a little higher than you might find elsewhere in South Haven, but I think you get what you pay for here. I would recommend Tello for a date, business meal, or a family night out.

2  Thank RMIgolfer
Reviewed 28 February 2015

We came here for dinner. As it was one of the highly rated italian restaurants we had to check it out. We were greeted by a huge line waiting to get in. Which is the norm for the restaurant i guess.
The food was good but not worth the time it took to get in.

1  Thank ayushb