“Classic and Celiac Freindly”
Review of City Park Grill

City Park Grill
Ranked #2 of 108 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: City Park Grill, one of Petoskey’s oldest buildings, was originally constructed in 1875. McCarty Hall, as it was then known was a malesonly billiard parlor that offered cigars and “intoxicating beverages.” Today, City Park Grill maintains a loyal clientele with house-made cuisine, focusing on locally procured produce, meats and lake fish, an awardwinning wine collection and house-made biscuits straight from the oven
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Long day traveling to UP and we decided to detour to Petoskey for a good meal on the way back to our resort. The atmosphere is a warm old classic place from maybe the 40s. We had a good steak special, designed for sharing with a great price. Our party had several dietary requirements and the waitress took it in stride and kitchen handled it well. No cross contamination and lots of flavor. With the special this was really a value meal.

Shawn P, Manager at City Park Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Thank you for the kind words. We are very proud of our historic (1875) building and I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere. I hope you'll visit us again when you're in the area.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My husband and I really enjoy the food and staff at this restaurant. Always offering interesting and really good, local menu options. The staff is always so pleasant and professional. Last time we went I ordered the wrong drink and they switched it out without complaint. They also had a band playing and it was really fun!

Shawn P, Manager at City Park Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Shelley,
Thank you for the kind words about our food and staff. I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed the band we had performing that evening. We are lucky to have had, and continue to have, so many talented musicians grace our stage. We look forward to having you dine with us again.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

We visited on a Sunday and the bar was having a happy hour with 1/2 price appetizers. We weren’t told about this until we were seated in the restaurant and when we asked the waitress about it, she said it was a bar promotion and she kindly moved us over to the bar area so we could indulge in the happy hour. We got the wings, steak on a stick, chicken cakes, and poutine. The wings were very tender and the steak on a stick was to die for! The chicken cakes and poutine were not as good for our taste. Our waitress again, was happy to take back the poutine and bring us another order of steak on a stick. (I didn’t mention the chicken cakes because I had already eaten one and didn’t think it would’ve been fair to mention something half eaten.) Our waitress was awesome! I hate complaining or sending stuff back so I kind of just set the poutine at the edge of the table and she said “oh, you don’t like this? I’ll take it off your bill, what else can I get you” I have never had that happen for me before at a restaurant. She made it so easy and never made it seem like an inconvenience. If we visit again, we will be back! Thank you for the wonderful experience on our little weekend getaway!

Kellie,
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our great Happy Hour deals. I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the Chicken Pretzel Bites nor the Smoked Pulled Pork Poutine. The poutine is one of my personal favorite menu items, but I understand everyone's tastes are different. I'm pleased to hear that your server was able to find you something in place of the poutine, however I wish you would have spoken up about the Chicken Pretzel Bites. We strive to ensure every one of our guests leaves the restaurant with a great experience and we would've happy removed the item from your bill or quickly found you another dish to enjoy. I do hope you'll join us again on your next visit to Petoskey.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Had a wonderful meal during the twice-annually "Restaurant Week". The food was wonderful, as was our waitress, Barbara! She did an excellent job of taking care of our large group. Thanks for a memorable evening!

1  Thank Nancy B
Shawn P, Manager at City Park Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Nancy,
Thank you for the kind review. We always look forward to Petoskey's Restaurant Week(s) as well. We are lucky to have great people like Barbara working here. I have passed along your kind words to her. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Had a late lunch with friends in this busy restaurant. It is partly a quaint pub that was built in 1875 as a pool room/bar and where Ernest Hemingway later drank at the bar when he spent his summers in Petoskey. It is also a large restaurant with a banquet room at the back. The City Grill salad of mixed greens, chopped almonds, cranberries and added chicken was very tasty and served with a flaky biscuit. Service was prompt and the waitress friendly.

Thank you for the review. We are lucky to have so much history surrounding us and everyone here is happy to share that history with our guests. Our signature City Park Salad is always one of our most popular items. Being in Northern Michigan, we love the addition of the dried Montmorency cherries from Traverse City in the salad. I hope you'll join us again soon.