Hostal La Tortuga Booluda
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewspancake breakfastbook exchangemake your ownfree pancakespool tablehonor systemhonesty barprivate roomthe kitchenstar fruitchilled hostelrun hostelcentral americarelaxed atmospherefree wififellow travelersfew blocks
Reviewed 5 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed at Tortuga for 5 nights. The place was charming, comfortable, and great for young people on a budget. They offered drinks, a free pool table, hammocks, great courtyard, a book exchange, a computer, Spanish lessons, volcano sledding, trips elsewhere, and a fully equipped kitchen. Our room was clean and simple. We had a shared bathroom and that was never an issue. The other guests were mostly respectful and friendly. However, right before we left, we did have our food stolen. We kept it in our room until some cooking oil spilled in our cupboard. We felt horrible about this and in an effort to respect Tortuga's furniture moved our food to our assigned room box in the kitchen. The next day we went to collect our food and it was gone: a dozen eggs, tortillas, beans...how animalistic can people be? We were really bummed because we had bought the food in an effort to save money. That same morning, my boyfriend was awoken to a very painful bite on his foot. A couple hours later his foot swelled up like a balloon. Tortuga called a doctor who ended up being a waste of our money. He prescribed a topical cream, which we were later told (by another respected physician in the area) was the worst thing to put on the bite. Supposedly, both of these incidents were our fault because when we alerted management, he acted as if it was impossible to receive a spider bite in his hostel...and our food being stolen? His response, "I mean, you're staying in a hostel. What do you expect?" We suffered the consequences and would have at the very least appreciated some empathy. Sarcasm is not the cure and 100 cords off our bill was just a joke. We ended up having to rush to an infectious disease doctor and stay 2 extra nights in Leon, canceling our trip to the beach. We definitely learned our lesson here. Staying in a hostel may be cheaper but in the long run cheap is expensive. Your food and your feet are at risk.

Stayed: October 2015
tortugabooluda, Inhaber at Hostal La Tortuga Booluda, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2015

Hola Riley

Thank you for your review, despite the (partly) negative experience.

My name is Hans, I'm the owner of the hostel and I was not present when those mishaps occurred. However, I consulted with my employees and, surprisingly enough, their version of the story is a different one.

First of all, it is more likely that your boyfriend got stung by a spider on the volcano than in your room. This happens frequently. I am not going to argue with you whether our doctor put the wrong cream on your boyfriend's sting or not but I have reason to believe that your description of facts is wildly exaggerated.

Regarding the stolen food: this is something that can happen in a hostel but has very rarely happened here. According to our cleaning lady, there was no food in any of the boxes neither the day before nor the day you reported it stolen. I am wondering whether you made the story up just to get a discount...

And yes, hotels are fancier than hostels but do you get to mingle with guests and make your own pancakes in a hotel?

Safe travels

Hans Martin

Hostal Tortuga Booluda

Reviewed 17 September 2015 via mobile

I sleep in the dorm and it was really hot. Price is good. The self service bar and hamac are reallly chill. It is well located. There is a local typical restaurant on the street where you can eat for 2$. The staff is welcoming. The crowd was from various age. All the info the this hostel helped me during my stay

Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank LeTank
Reviewed 26 August 2015

This was by far the best place I stayed at in Nicaragua. It is located just a few blocks from the center of Leon, but is located in a very quiet area. From what I could tell the area was safe even at night. The common area was very nice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. This place is run very well and is absolutely one of the best places in the city.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank KrisJohn55
Reviewed 25 August 2015

Place we stayed in Leon; great value, lockers provided, good amenities, well located, can't complain about anything. Stayed in dorms for 3 nights, and had fans so kept cool at night.
Staff went above and beyond when my friend was sick, and they also helped arrange transport to the airport which was really appreciated. Thanks!

Room Tip: Dorms are fine
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We stayed in the upstairs room (8) and loved it. It has a private balcony with a hammock and private bathroom. The hostel is very nice and comfortable with a ton to do. People are always hanging out in the common area: playing pool, cooking, reading, playing cards, relaxing in the hammocks, etc. We left too early to enjoy the free pancake breakfast.

They will happily help you make reservations for tours and give you plenty to do, see, and eat in the city. Note that running the AC costs extra (we weren't told ahead of time).

Room Tip: Get room 8. Private balcony, private bathroom, and AC.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends